“A touch of Britain.”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mesa
Description: Welcome to San Pedro's British Restaurant & Pub. With the Victorian decor and oak paneled walls, you'll feel like you've traveled across the pond!We offer live music on Friday evenings and a Jazz/Blues band every 1st and 2nd Thursday of the month.Enjoy tap beers from Europe: Boddington's, Fullers, Bass, Guinness, Newcastle Brown, IPA's, Amber Ales, Heffeweissens and so on... Too many to mention.We have British food like Shepherd's Pie, Fish & Chips, Beef Wellington, Fresh Seafood, Rack of Lamb and Shellfish.We're open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner!This authentic, oak-paneled Victorian GastroPub and British Restaurant enjoys two levels with a grand piano and fireplace. The Whale & Ale is a multiple award winner with the California Restaurant Writers Association, and more recently, Los Angeles Magazine's coveted "Business of the Year."
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Real English pub atmosphere. I had the fish & chips and the fish is some of the best I've had-perfectly prepared; not greasy at all and fresh. Sticky toffee pudding is to die for.

TheSilb, Owner at The Whale & Ale, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Thanks for coming by to check us out while you were in town earlier this year! It's great to hear how much you enjoyed our award-winning Fish & Chips. That Sticky Toffee Pudding sure is a sweet way to end a meal, isn't it? Come by to see us again soon, and thank you very much for the great review!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

we have been there twice now, and "the beer is good" says my Brit husband. :) although the food takes a while to come out, (both times we were there they were very busy) the food was great.. the people are friendly, and on some nights they have music.. when they have music, sit upstairs as it is rather loud :)

I'm always happy to hear when a fellow Brit stops in to see us here. I'm glad your husband enjoys our beer selection, and that you both love the food! I appreciate you sharing some pointers for those who may be considering a visit, and we'll be sure to live up the your compliments. We look forward to seeing you two back soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Whale & Ale is a great spot if you are looking for a British Pub in the South Bay. The street parking is convenient. The dinner menu is $$-$$$ but the appetizers are $-$$ and are tasty. The clam chowder is worth it. Pure deliciousness bacon and fresh clam making you wanting a cup for the road or the sea. We also enjoyed the Calamari which was fresh and tasty & Prawns which were a bit over priced for their worth. Great Whale Tail IPA, I recommend it.

You can never go wrong with a Whale & Ale IPA, Zach. Excellent choice — same goes for the menu items you recommend. We aim to make sure that each meal you order from us is worth every penny, and I hope you will bring it to our attention if it isn't, so we can fix it. Stop in to see us for another delicious meal & a cold pint soon. We'll be happy to serve them up for you.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We enjoyed our meal at The Whale and Ale. Husband had cod and chips and I had shrimp and chips. My husband is a definite fan of fish and chips and he loved the breading. The breading was good, just a little thick for my tastes. I ended up taking most of the breading off and eating the shrimp bare. The breading I did eat though was excellent. The cocktail sauce had a kick and was very good. The hard cider was fantastic - I could drink that every day! Yum! The soda bread was wonderful too. Two baskets later and my husband was groaning in delight.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My favorite haunt (especially on Friday nights) when living in San Pedro (L.A. Harbor) from 2007-2011 was the Whale & Ale British Pub & Restaurant. I still make a point of dropping in there regularly when I visit L.A. on leave. Great food (Recommended main courses: fish & chips, curry chicken, Angus beef burgers. Favorite appetizers: Welsh rarebit, Tandoori lamb chops), great atmosphere (owned by a genuine Londoner, Andrew Silber, and staffed by hard-working and friendly servers including the lovely & talented Shannon, Katina, Linda, and Beth), great old-school British decor, and great company (a friendly bunch of regulars among the clientele, not to mention the excellent live entertainment of pianist Rob Klopfenstein, and the Sea Shanty singing group on the last Friday of the month). There's a reason I've chosen it as for my last six birthday and going-away parties. To quote Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, "A splendid time is guaranteed for all."

3  Thank TrojanSkyCop1