“A little gem in the heart of Hollywood! ” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Hotel Hollywood
Ranked #11 of 86 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“A little gem in the heart of Hollywood! ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I arrived for check in 2 hours early (check in is at 3pm) and I was lucky enough my room was ready as I'd been travelling for over 20 hours and was desperate for sleep.
The staff was very friendly at reception and I noticed this throughout my stay consistently with all customers. I had my keys in under 5 minutes, the elevator was broken but I didn't mind, I was only on level 2.

I stayed in room 201 which faces Yucca street. The room is a perfect size for 2 people. There is a small fridge so you can stock up if you need and a 7/11 is located across the road. The bed is extremely comfortable. I went for a 'nap' and woke up 7 hours later, but on my first night I woke up every 2 hours and couldn't sleep from 5:30am. I blame the jet lag!

There is air conditioning in the room, I found I kept getting either too hot or too cold. The room is constantly warm. There's also a ceiling fan with lights.

The walls are quite thin so any movement or conversation throughout the hallways can be heard, but that didn't bother me too much. I only stayed for 2 nights but if you're staying longer perhaps request a quieter room.

Hollywood Boulevard is only a block away which I did walk on my own at night, after reading now I probably shouldn't have done so and was stopped 5 times on my first night. But everyone was just really friendly and seemed they only wanted a chat.

I loved that the room had wifi which worked quite well and there is a small selection of free breakfast in reception from 8am with fruit, bagels, bars, tea coffee etc. my friend and I would always grab something to go.

I would highly recommend The Hotel Hollywood if you are looking for nice low budget accommodation in a great location in Hollywood.

Tip- I caught the Prime time shuttle bus from LAX which also saved me some coin.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ashiie05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Very happy with our stay here, staff were all very helpful and friendly. Close to subway station that goes right to Universal City and bus stop that goes to Santa Monica. Free breakfast and wifi always good too! Good area during the day but wouldn't take subway or walk streets at night.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel hollywood for 2 nights. The accommodation was very clean, comfy and in a great location. I was told that hollywood was pretty scary but it was ok and I felt safe in the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We used the car park for a $15 charge and it was secure. The only downside was the reception room where breakfast was, was small and very busy. I would stay here again for sure.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jo555
Speyer, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and found this to be a good budget hotel.

There are only 33 rooms in the hotel, so you can't expect the amenities of a large hotel, but the 2 guys from reception were very friendly and helpful and above all, the whole place was very clean. The room wasn't huge, but ok.

We stayed in room 202 located next to the staircase, which turned out to be quite noisy (keep in mind that this is an old building and the stairs are quite creaky), but we didn't really mind as we only stayed for 2 nights, but if you stay longer you might want to point out that you'd like a quiet room when checking in.

Breakfast was actually far better than we had expected: It was basic (again, you can't expect a buffet) with orange juice, coffee, tea, milk, a selection of fresh fruit, bagels, spreads such as cream cheese and cereal bars. If you get there early, you will find that it is even quite decently arranged. It is served in the reception area and there are only 2 or 3 small tables to sit down, but you can also just grab something and take it to your room or have it on the way.

There are also washing facilities downstairs, which guests are welcome to use between 4pm and 10pm if I recall correctly. In our case, this came in quite handy.

It's true that the area is not very nice - I wouldn't have felt safe here on my own at night, but I guess you get that in lots of areas in L.A.
If you keep in mind that this is a place for budget travellers who are mainly in L.A. for sightseeing and do not want to enjoy the amenities of a luxury hotel, this place is a good choice.

Room Tip: If you have a light sleep, ask for a quiet room that is not located next to the staircase. There are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miss_Taylor_84
Lurgan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed two nights last week. The room was clean and not to hot! Good value ! The area is not great and I would not walk around there on my own. There is a great 7/11 over the road ! The free breakfast was good but the small area very congested!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lancashire UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Arrived for a 3 night stay in August as part of our US Tour.
On arrival the man in reception greeted us and was really friendly.
Our room was on the ground floor next to the managers office. I was REALLY disappointed.
I did not expect much for the price but it looked so basic.
In the room was a bed, a TV, fridge, microwave, some plastic cups, only 1 bedside cabinet and no wardrobe just a rack on the wall for you to hang clothes on.
No coffee maker...nothing else
The one positive thing i will say it was very clean indeed oh and the air con worked well.

I felt very nervous - the area looks a little shady and there were some people hanging around when we arrived who took a great deal of notice of us. The window wasnt actually locked and our room looked into an alley way - I felt very vulnerable. Went back to reception to see if we could move and was told no (seems they were full) but I was given assurances that the alley gate is locked and that it is safe. Too tired at that stage to do anything else.

We decided to make the best of it as at least it was clean and wanted to have a shower and get ready to go out.
There was no iron or ironing board so my husband went to reception and we were provided with an Iron and the funniest little ironing board I have ever seen - it was teeny. The sort of thing you perhaps add to an existing ironing board to do shirt sleeves! I will add some photos and this will show how funny it was.

The shower was rubbish - very poor pressure but again we managed.

We found the hotel to be conveniently located. A 5-10 minute walk from the underground at Hollywood/Highland. We used this to get around to Chinatown and to Universal Studios which we enjoyed. Lots of places to eat for all budgets near by and some really interesting shops, bars, tattoo parlours etc on the walk of fame which starts a few minutes away.
If you dont have a car then you will be fine here - we didnt as only here for a few days.

Breakfast was fine actually. The breakfast area is situated in the same place as reception and it is TINY! no room at all. In the end because our room was close by I nipped in and grabbed what we needed and ate on the room, on the funny ironing board which was on the bed...because there was no where else to put it ha!
We were really laughing at this point and starting to enjoy the slightly quirky nature of this place.
Breakfast was coffee, juice, cereal bars and very nice bagels - enough to get us going and I was happy with it.

Free internet use in the hallway - 2PCs but no printer.

On our last day I needed to book transport to airport. I used the free internet to book supershuttle and emailed the voucher to the hotel and the man in reception (im sorry I didnt catch his name!) printed them off.

He is fantastic, very friendly and will do anything to help you!!

So - ok I do prefer a little more luxury and didnt do my research before I booked BUT - its cheap, clean, staff are nice and its convenient - cannot find fault with that.
The area does not look great but actually we had no issues at all and we were safe!!! The doors are all well locked so nothing to worry about.
Would I stay there again - hmmm actually i am not sure - it was fun in a way

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cookla
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was exactly what we needed on our first night in LA. Good location right off the strip, nicely made up peaceful room (tip: room 312 on third floor is good), jet lagged stumbling distance from food, drink and a 7/11! Big comfortable beds, ceiling fan & AC, free WiFi. What more could you need? Not many "good" restaurants nearby. It's telling that strip eateries are little reviewed, but if just want a feed and fast food is fine then you'll be fine. Little Devils on the strip seemed to pitch it right to our market, but we'd already eaten at Sharkey's which was fast and fun & 2 mins away!

• Stayed September 2013