“Don't be afraid of the dark”
Review of Casa Vega

Casa Vega
Ranked #792 of 10,192 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: Universal City Area
Reviewed April 25, 2013

It's so dark when you walk in here, but your eyes will get adjusted. The food is pretty good, but the people here are what make it the most fun. We usually grab lunch on a Sunday at the informal bar here and it's fun just watch and listen to the other patrons.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were down looking at UCLA and places in Sherman Oaks and we love mexican food and thought we would stop in. We were greeted nicely and seated at a booth. It was so dark we couldn't see the menu and I joked to my daughter to use her cell phone to light it up and as I looked around the room others were doing the same. I like the darkness of the place and ambiance but wish they could figure out a way to light the area just long enough for us to read the menu. The chips looked average but for some reason they tasted really good. I ordered the cheese enchilada lunch and it was very good. My daughter ordered the bean and cheese burrito. It was bland and beans didn't have much flavor. Our food was served very fast but we waited FOREVER and EVER for the check after asking over and over. Our waiter wasn't too busy he was just standing there looking grouchy.
I would go back again for the enchiladas if we are in the area. The price was fine but they do charge you for everything Beans and rice if you order and burrito and Guacamole. Just a heads up.
I also am not sure if it's a great place for kids. I would take my little one if he's with us but I did get annoyed with the people who had the baby screaming the whole time we were there. I don't think the people dining there really want to hear that. Most of the people seem to be on they lunch from work and think they deserve a break from kids. Just my own personal opinion.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This place has been around forever and I hadn't been here in over ten years, it's not in my "hood" but I was working nearby and meeting a colleague. It's still dark and it looks the same and it's still as good as it ever was. Drinks were excellent (but pricey) and the carnitas burrito I ordered (dry, not wet which is 1.50 more and is sauce and cheese) was huge and delicious. Service was friendly and quick and all in all it was as good as I'd remembered it.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I live down the street and come here often. Always great food and I always see a celebrity or two. I highly recommend this place. Great service and great prices.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I decided to eat this restaurant after watching its renovation on the show "Flipping Out." I was excited to see the designs and eat the food that Jeff and Jennie raved about on the show. The restaurant is located on the corner of the street and has awkward parking behind it. After entering the waiting area, I stepped into the extremely dark restaurant. I tripped a couple of times, and my eyes never seemed to adjust. I was disappointed I wasn't able to check out the place because it was so dark. The restaurant was busy, and it was during the lunch hour. The food, guacamole, and chips were all average. I really wanted to like this place, but I left feeling underwhelmed.