“Limited routes and confusing TAP system for buying tickets”
Review of Metro Rail

Metro Rail
Ranked #47 of 590 things to do in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We used this to get from universal to get to hollywood boulevard which was ideal. The metro does not cover all areas of LA . You have to buy a TAP card and then add an appropriate fare to the card. We worked it out after a while but very confusing . No staff anywhere to ask !!! Machines not very clear. Easy to pay for wrong fares. Found a friendly passenger to help us.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The new TAP system is the most user unfriendly I've ever experienced. Travelling on many US transit systems and in other countries is infinitely easier. Not only confusing to passengers, MTA representaives at the stations don't know it either and give out wrong information.

At every station ticket machine, numerous passenger leave puzzled, angry or fearful that they have purchaed the wrong fare ticket. Navigating the ticket machine monitor is so confusing and NO senior fare is noted. It used to be (a month ago) that you would face the monitor, press the appropriate button for destination, transfer, round trip or senior/disabled fare and a ticket would come out within seconds. Now it takes far too long to still not be able to get the correct fare ticket.

Is this a ploy by the MTA to eliminate the senior fare but not tell us????? If it is, it's working.

As a senior, the fare, only a month or so ago, was $.25 per trip. Wonderful!!!! Now the MTA doesn't even have a senior fare BUT it cost me $6.00 for two round trip fares to downtown LA on the Expo Line from the La Cienega/Jefferson Station. The MTA representative at the La Cienega Station had me purchase a blue TAP card for $1.25 and told me it was good for one year. The next time I "TAPPED" the monitor it said the card was invalid but was good till 2015????

At the Union Station, the monitor again told me it was invalid but asked if I would like to add fare to the card. I pressed the $1.50 button but only had a $5 bill and inserted it. I received a receipt for the $1.50 but received only $.25 change!!!!! This is a pretty sneaky way to get added fare income. To top this trip off my now delayed trip was further delayed by a car running into our train.

I guess the $6.00 was for the added excitement.

In today's technologicaly savy society, implementing a simple menu shouldn't be too difficult to communicate clearly, others do it.

4  Thank Arturo F
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I hate to admit this, but Saturday was my first time riding the Metro Rail (I live in L.A.). It was a great experience.
We had visitors & were going to the Coliseum to see a USC football game....not looking forward to dealing with 90,000 people trying to park, so we decided to park in my garage downtown & walk 3 blocks to the 7th Street metro station where we caught the Expo Line to USC/Coliseum.
The station was well-staffed with friendly, helpful people and the train was on time & clean.
After the game, Metro Rail had put helpful signs around campus & the Coliseum area leading us back to where we caught our train home. They even had signs for folks to line up, depending on which direction one needed to go....no guessing or confusion.
I look forward to riding Metro Rail again soon.

13  Thank pickygirl2
Reviewed October 23, 2012

OK, so not without a car at all, but there are many places you can go in LA using Metro Rail. The trains are really nice and the stations modern, brightly lit and clean. I dropped my rental car in San Diego and then used Amtrak, Metro Rail and Bus to get to my friend's house near USC. Once in LA, we went a number of places (Culver City, downtown) without taking a car. Combine rail with Express Bus and you really can get somewhere without a car.

1  Thank Seitchik
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Cannot believe how good the rail service is considering how little you pay. It's not perfect by any means and doesn't go as far as some other cities, but it was quick to the places I wanted to go (Hollywood, Universal Studios, parts of Downtown) and $20 to use it - and the buses - for a week is excellent. Even when I lost my card and had to buy a day pass for my final day I managed to get great value.

Helped that it was just a couple of minutes walk from the hotel as well.