“You must have Prime Rib and the Clam Chouder!”
Review of Buggy Whip - CLOSED

Buggy Whip
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Westside
Cross street: 405 FWY
Melbourne, Florida
“You must have Prime Rib and the Clam Chouder!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stop here EVERYTIME I'm in LA. A short drive from LAX. You can stand up a spoon in the chouder and enjoy a great prime rib....get here a little early for happy hour

• Visited February 2012

Los Angeles, California
“good ole buggy whip”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

A throwback to 70's inside in an area that does not have a lot of restaurants - Quiet lunch spot for business and service is excellent by experienced no nonsense. Everytime I meet someone half way from the West Side of LA coming from down south they say the same thing. Easy location, nice atmosphere, a great spot. Food is all home made and the fish and seafood are great-- real FRESH - - Had a great shrimp and crap salad with great rolls and my guest had the Mahi Mahi. They have a full seafood and beef style steak house menu. YES, THEY HAVE GREEN GODESS SALAD DRESSING.
We had a really nice lunch and were never rushed - Not expensive for the size portions, service and quality of ingrediants. Also close to airport for killing time before flights.

• Visited August 2012
Denver, CO
“Great Food, but what a dump!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

While on vacation we ate dinner at the Buggy Whip based on a recommendation from a local. The food was absolutely wonderful and plentiful. The dual lobster dinner was excellent and the prime rib was out of this world. I shared the prime rib dinner with my wife and we both went away stuffed with yummy food. My only complaint is the green beans were bland and tasted like cheap frozen product.

Unfortunately, the building and facilities are in bad need of updating. There was a damp, moldy smell when we entered the dining room (no, the restaurant is not on the beach) and the furnishings and fixtures need replaced. I guess some like the "step back in time", but I'm sure the owners make enough money to keep the furnishings fresh and classic instead of outdated and crusty.

Overall, the excellent food overshadowed the gloomy, outdated environment. The service was pleasant and effective, but nothing I'd claim to be outstanding. The prices are pretty high - $40 for the prime rib dinner - but it was more than enough food for two people, which makes the price quite affordable for the quantity and quality of food. My son and father-in-law shared the lobster dinner and had plenty to eat. If the facilities were in better condition, I would gladly give the Buggy Whip an excellent rating.

• Visited July 2012
Southern California
“Did Sinatra Eat Here?”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

In this retro setting, I'd expect to see Frank Sinatra dining with his cronies in one of the upholstered booths, or Dino crooning with the piano player in the bar. The food is quite good, the way I remember a special night out, and the service is spot on: friendly and efficient without any gimmicks. Our waiter knew the history of the place and, like an old friend, answered any questions we had. But he didn't loiter or neglect his other patrons. My husband and I lit up when we saw Sand Dabs on the menu because they aren't offered many places. The Buggy Whip Sand Dabs were excellent -- and plentiful!! The drinks were generous, too. We found every employee to be friendly and helpful. This is a good, solid experience for diners who want good food, good service, and no pretensions.

• Visited May 2012
Saint Peters, Missouri
“Expensive but worth it!”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Very good atmosphere and food was teriffic. I had pepper steak which was delicious. Others also raved about meal. Large portions so doggy bags all around. Service very good and very pleasant. Pricey but....

• Visited February 2012