“Elegant and inviting”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is a small restaurant connected to American Rag that is worth a special trip. With maybe ten seats at the counter and a half dozen small tables, it's perfect for singles and couples. The food - salads, sandwiches, omelets - is terrific. No alcohol is served. There are also tables on the street, perfect for people-watching, and the people are very, very interesting on this stretch of La Brea.
Parking is impossible on La Brea after 4:00, so go for lunch, shop the area - some of the finest retail in Los Angeles and the Fahey/Klein Gallery (not to be missed) is just up the street - and leave before the tow trucks arrive...promptly at 4:01.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Let me start by saying that I generally only write reviews when a place is great, or better than expected. But Cafe Midi, which has been a perennial LA favorite, really disappointed me recently so I wanted to let the Trip Advisor community know.

I ordered a sandwich, but because there are a million different sandwiches on the menu, the waitress told the kitchen to make the wrong one. No big deal. I would have eaten it anyway but it was very bland (basically a plain old turkey sandwich for fifteen dollars - no thanks.) So I asked if I could get the right one (with carmelized onions and roasted tomatoes on it.) She was very apologetic and sent it back to the kitchen. Great. But when I got the 'new' sandwich, it was my SAME sandwich, with bites taken out of it, but the kitchen had thrown carmelized onions, roasted tomatoes and oil and vinegar on it - and left everything else. So now there was mustard and mayo from the original sandwich, plus the fancier condiments, plus it was cold, and honestly it tasted gross. And my husband's chicken curry sandwich was very average.

This may sound like not a big deal (a first world problem, as it were), except that I've never had that happen before - ANYWHERE - never mind at an upscale LA brunch spot. You're talking about spending forty bucks for two sandwiches and a coffee. I'd really like it to be good. We're kind of speculating that there's new management, because this place used to be fantastic. It was my husband's go-to place for a 'sexy lunch' (his words) but there was nothing sexy about this lunch. And since I'm pregnant, lunch is very important to me!

Maybe we caught them on a bad day, but unfortunately they lost our business. Plenty of other sandwiches in the sea.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you want to go to a restaurant where you can choose from extraordinarily salad compositions you have not only never eaten but have never seen before, this is the place. The owner is Moroccan, which seems to have given him a creativity gene. They also have splendid sandwiches, omelets and more substantial entrees, but the salads are beyond your imagination. We've been going there for more than ten years and have never had a disappointing meal. Not to mention that their "ordinary" coffee is better than anything in town.

1  Thank AndreaLosAngelers
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Had breakfast. It was amazing! Great food, fun environment in their store. The menu is HUGE! Hardest decision was what to pick out of so many choices. I had the Italian Omelet, wife and friends had their juevos ranchereos. So Good! Will definitely go there again to eat and do my best to keep my wife out of the shop. Way too many "this is so cool" outfits!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Here is a fairly new, small restaurant on the scene. It's in the back of the well known store on La Brea called American Rag. Cafe Midi is owned and run by Edoard--a Frenchman who knows food. I had been told to expect great food but I am not one to be dazzled and I was. Edoard is a hands-on restaurateur and charming host but it is the food that takes center stage. Serving just breakfast and lunch currently, hopefully he will be moving someplace where he can add dinner. There are probably fewer than 15 table and all were full on a Monday when I was there for lunch with a friend. Word has obviously gotten around. Run don't walk. (I NEVER gush like this!)