“Iconic location, but disappointed by indifferent service”
Review of Encounter - CLOSED

Encounter
Cuisines: Asian, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We were returning to New Zealand from LAX in mid July, so I reserved a dinner reservation in advance at the Encounter Restaurant in the middle of the airport. I have been there before, albeit a long time ago, and was keen to take my family.
The Encounter looks like something straight out of the Jetsons, and really plays on this - from the B Grade Sci/fi movie muzak in the elevator, to the swirly designs, moon rock wall cladding, and lava lights in the restaurant.
The experience was marred by really poor attention from our server.
Due to flight delays, we were late for our booking, but the restaurant was definitely not busy. I told the server that we were under a time constraint, and only had time for dessert.
Unfortunately she promptly seemed to completely forget that we were even there, even when I repeatedly had to get up to ask for water and drinks from another server, and to double check where our dessert order was.
3 out of the 5 desserts available on the menu had the same mango sauce, and all were listed on the menu as coming with whipped cream. When there was no cream on any of the desserts, I queried this with the server, who looked at the menu and then bizarrely told me "Oh, that's a mistake. They don't come with cream!" She was looking at the menu at the time, which explicitly said they came with cream. Go figure. She did then get cream as a side serve however.
This restaurant isn't cheap, and while the location is perfect and the look is iconic, I ultimately felt that the visit was a disappointment.

1  Thank Brett M

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I hadn't been at this place in many years. The last time I ate here is was forgettable. However, having a few hours to kill at lunchtime, and with the lack of other alternatives in the LAX area, we went to Encounter. Very glad we did.

Lunch was delicious. I had the turkey club and it was just great. The large, thick slice of avocado really made a great sandwich.

Service was also very good. The decor could use a little updating, but all in all, this was a stop I'll make again when I have time.

1  Thank rzrnaz
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Going through LAX, we needed a bite to eat and wanted to avoid the typical airport terminal food. Encounter offers something way off the beaten path. The views are phenomenal. Especially if you are an airplane nut. Unfortunately for us, we just missed the lunch cutoff and were stuck with the dinner menu. EXPENSIVE is the main word! We ended up just getting salads to keep the cost down. After having spent thousands on an international trip, we didn't feel like forking out another $150 for our family of four. The food was good. Just wish it was a bit more down to earth in prices.

2  Thank Gone2TheBeachPhoenix
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I am sure you have often wondered what that arch thing is at the Los Angeles Airport. Well, it is Encounters and it is a great place to grab a meal at the airport. Once upon a time it must have had some thing to do with UFOs so it is kind of retro. However, the view from up above the airport terminal means you can see the planes land while you enjoy great service and food. This is not a cheap meal but the food and service is worth it.

1  Thank Gregg B
Reviewed June 16, 2012

About 5 minute walk from Terminal 2 on ground level
Outside nothung to brag about
Get on elevator and voila....beam me Scotty!
Groovy decor, friendly staff, awesome views and too cool restroom!
Prices were around 20 for entrees
Sat at bar for view and artistic bar too, they card you for ID even if not drinking alcoholic beberages if you sit at bar.
Not many vegetarian choices but accommodating, they made me a grill cheese sandwich, nothing fancy but was ok.
Nice layover stop if have time!