“Dinner and Flamenco”
Review of El Cid

El Cid
Reserve with OpenTable
El Cid is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,394 of 10,030 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fountain
Description: El Cid offers a romantic blend of dining, history, and entertainment that is unique, mystic, and beautiful hidden in the heart of Hollywood. With a history of great entertainment and a new variety of late night and dinner shows to choose from, El Cid is known today as a landmark of Hollywood! Come join us every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening for El Cid's signature Spanish Flamenco Dinner shows. With its bewildering beauty and passion, Flamenco has gained fans worldwide. Flamenco is a unique spectacle, captivating for all. Think of the fire, the passion and the defiance of those stomping feet, making Spanish flamenco dance an integral part of Spain's culture. With its roots deeply embedded in Andalusia, the southern region of Spain, flamenco is a passionate music and dance art form. No two shows are ever the same. Prior to the shows, guests are welcome to continue to enjoy this quick "getaway" to Spain with El Cid's menu of Spanish and locally-inspired entrees, tapas, sangria, and a full bar, either outdoors in El Cid's charming Spanish-style courtyard, complete with fountains and old world Mediterranean tiles or indoors in the old-world Spanish-style tavern showroom. The cost for the Flamenco shows are $15.00 Per person and tickets should be purchased online in advance to guarantee seating. Please visit our calendar here to choose a performance and purchase tickets. Tickets include the show only. Food and drink is a la carte and there is no minimum. On Fridays (shows at 7:30 pm) Saturday (shows at 7:45 pm) Flamenco performances are an El Cid original with Angelita Concerto Flamenco. Angelita has been performing at El Cid since 1989 and we're thrilled to have Angelita back with her great experience and love for the Spanish art, performing traditional Flamenco with members of her dance company. As a special treat, Juan Talavera, one of the original owners of El Cid, joins Angelita on stage, once a month, to relive El Cid's historic past which continues with the classic styling of pure flamenco. On Sundays (shows at 5:30 pm)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Dinner and Flamenco”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were visiting LA and decided to look for something to do Sunday evening that was a little different. Online we found an ad for a Flamenco show at El Cid, so booked a reservation. It is on Sunset Blvd, and seemed a little dive-y at first. However, the staff was quite nice and accomodating. The food (paella and a fish dish) was delicious. There was a singer, a superb flamenco guitarist "Tye" and 3 women who did an inspired hour of dance. We enjoyed the evening and the food, both. The dancers came out to chat with the audience and were charming. It's worth a stop when in LA. The show was $25 each and the food/drink was reasonably priced.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank ABQDoc

Los Angeles, California
“Close your eyes and hold your nose!”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Went twice… once for the so-called "Indie Film Night" & once for the "Web TV" night. The food and drinks were disgusting. Also, the rather arrogant, self-important host / M.C. seemed to think his absolutely idiotic taste in digital media was somehow “on the mark” and shared by “the cool” people in the professional world. Thank god for filmmaking it is not. He is clearly no judge of creativity nor accomplished at anything himself.This made for two unpleasant evenings that assaulted both the stomach and the soul. Oh... and all this "pleasure" is only availible after an incredible hassle to park your car.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank QuantumDNA
Los Angeles, California
“Dancing is great, food is not so great”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

El Cid has been around forever and I've always wanted to see the Flamenco show. So when a Groupon became available, I jumped on the chance to see it.

PARKING: there is street parking if you don't mind walking. The Valet is $7.00 and you must pay upfront.

DECOR: the stairs at the place are a bit dicey if you are in heels, be careful. This place is like the magic castle, it's been around so long that they haven't updated anything, and there feels like a layer of grime everywhere. It has that kitchsy feel, wrought iron, tile, painted wood chairs.

SEATING: the tables are set up long and narrow. There is no space on either side of you, it's worse than airplane seating. You can not have a private conversation, there is no elbow room, and I would not bring a date - not romantic at all. It is very loud in the restaurant - you practically have to shout to be heard. No AC, very warm as well. There are some seats in a small balcony, probably better since you aren't crammed like sardines.

DINNER: For $42 you get a 4 course meal. Soup, sale, entree, dessert. The soup is not very good and it is a bit spicy. They forgot to serve us salads completely, and we shared the flat iron steak dish with mashed potatoes and asparagus. They give you 3 stalks of asparagus that have no flavor, the potatoes taste like instant and the steak was so thick and not completely cooked and no utensils to cut it with. The roll was hard, bland and obviously not freshly made. We had also ordered tapas: Ceviche- not bad, Pan Roasted shrimp- Decent, Chips (not fresh) and salsa (too watery)- Pass, and fried Manchego (Stale) but the dipping sauce was good. I had a coke which took forever to get a refill, and my friend had a sangria which she said was ok. For dessert they give you a piece of Baklava which is not Spanish at all. And it is from the store because someone left 2 huge empty trays in boxes on the bar that the dessert had come from prepackaged. We asked for water 3x from 2 different servers and finally had to go and beg the bartender for water. Overall not great, even with a coupon.

SERVICE: bad, just plain bad.

THE SHOW: This is the only thing that makes the whole ordeal worth it. The singer, musicians, and dancers are phenomenal. I loved the music, the energy, and the beautiful dancing. We were seated near the stage so we could feel the pounding in our chairs, so cool.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank melobeam
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go on a Flamenco night!”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Go on a Flamenco night!

The Valley, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice venue, average show, horrible food, ridiculous price.”
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I took my girlfriend on Valentines Day to have an early dinner and watch the Flamenco show and the following is my review:

FOOD - Plain and simply the food is bad. We had a four-course meal all the courses were bland, boring and lacked flavor. There is nothing more I can say to describe the quality and taste. The prime rib was the exception. I felt like it came from another kitchen altogether because it was juicy, tasteful and cooked perfectly. The portions were decent but what's the point of a good portion if the taste just isn't there.

SHOW - The show wasn't bad. It's something different and out of the norm, however I feel that Flamenco is a very sexy and passionate dance. Well, the dancers were neither. The performers consisted of a guitar player and 4 middle-aged women who although danced their hearts out just couldn't keep my attention. The highlight however is the singer who unfortunately just sits in a dark corner of the stage. The older gentleman who must be in his late 50's, early 60's is a marvel to see and hear. It’s very impressive how powerful his voice is and with what ease he can sing. He only comes out for a few songs, which is a shame. He is the only reason I would ever return to this establishment.

COST - Ridiculous. Like I mentioned earlier, 4 course meal and 2 drinks apiece = $207.00. Not worth it at all. Yes, it was Valentines Day, and yes it was dinner and a show, and yes 4 alcoholic drinks, but despite all this I still feel cheated and overcharged. And please understand I'm not cheap. I don't mind paying when I feel the experience was well deserved.

DRINKS - My girlfriend is a huge fan of Sangria, so every time we eat at a Spanish restaurant we make it a point to try it. I wish we hadn't. It was bland, flat and boring, just like the food. However, I did order something I have never heard of prior: the Calimicho (or Kalimotxo) which is half Coke / half wine served over ice. I know some of you die hard wine drinkers out there feel nauseous at just the mention of this mixture, but trust me it's great! My girlfriend is an avid wine drinker (not an alcoholic) and rarely drinks soda but after a few sips, I think she's hooked too.

STAFF - The staff seemed friendly, but average.

PARKING - We parked valet and paid $6.00. There was also plenty of street parking if preferred.

SUMMARY - The food is overpriced and lacks flavor. The show is average and not worth the cost. The venue is nice and obviously has a lot of history, which you feel when you walk down the stairs and through the doors, but overall, I would give the restaurant a C- and would most likely never return.

1 Thank garyrc513