“True Oaxacan cuisine and Mexican hospitality”
Review of Monte Alban

Monte Alban
Ranked #3,734 of 10,090 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Westside
Neighborhood: Westside
Kihei, Hawaii
“True Oaxacan cuisine and Mexican hospitality”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Friday before Thanksgiving was cold and damp for a Hawaiian Wahine. I went into this restaurant not knowing what I wanted. The owner, a delightful woman, greeted me like family and suggested I sit down and look at the menu. She then suggested her "special" coffee...hot and flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, and other delights that was so warming and delicious. I then chose their AZTECA Soup---large bowl with added chicken. My bill for both was under $10 then tax and tip. They make every bowl to order. It was THE BEST SOUPA I had ever tasted. The restaurant had tables of women and children, couples and just men taking a break from their work day. The desserts looked luschious--flan and tapioca pudding. They also have a luncheon buffet. The food looked and smelled fabulous. It was surprise finding in an area I was not familiar with but will go back on my next trip to LA. It is just off the 405--Santa Monica Boulevard exit.

• Visited November 2013

Kalapana, Hawaii
“Worth going to LA just for this”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Step into the door and you are magically transplaced to uncharted territory. OMG calling this a Mexican restaurant is a disservice. A huge menu 80% mystery ethnic items. I found this in a guide to hole in the wall lunch counters in LA and I always go there when in LA.

The Barbacoa, goat stew is beyond heavenly. I have tried goat every time its available and nothing has compared to this delicious bowl. I complement it with the fresh cactus salad and its just a fantastic meal. I live far away (Hawaii) and its my special stop in LA.

I have been enjoying this food for many years. I have sent many friends there; I hear the three different moles are terrific but I can;t pass up the stew. Enjoy!

• Visited August 2013
Rochester, New York
“Off the beaten path -- Best Mexican food”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were looking for a place to eat while visiting Los Angeles on our recent vacation. We came across Monte Albans which had good ratings. We mostly chose this restaurant because we have a Monte Albans where we live and decided it would be fun to compare. It was getting late so we called to make a reservation.

Monte Albans is in West Los Angeles on Santa Monica Blvd. This is not the touristy area of Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, etc.

It is in a small strip mall so parking was not a problem. When we arrived there were people waiting outside and it was crowded inside. We learned later without a reservation there were people waiting up to 3 hours for a table. We were seated immediately upon arriving. I loved the Mexican decor and the homey feel. The service was great and the people very friendly
So you want to know about the food. It is authentic Oaxacan Food. Not that I would really know the difference from any other type of Mexican food. But I have had homemade Mexican many times over the past few years and the food at Monte Albans was as good.

I have eaten at many Mexican restaurants and the quality of food here is by the far the best I have ever had. My husband who grew up eating homemade Mexican food was more than impressed. We wish we had the time to go back for one more meal. I had the Estafado De Pollo which is chicken in a tomato based mole. It is not like the black mole that is made with chocolate. It was rich, spicy, sweet and savory. The blend of ingredients was perfect as was the white rice served with the dish. It was not dry or sticky and had a sweet nutty taste that was a perfect complement to the sauce and chicken. The chicken was tender and flavorful. The chips and salsa they served was excellent as well.

My husband had the traditional mole with chicken and the rice. The traditional or black mole here again was the best we ever had in a restaurant. The sauce was not thick or thin. The blend of chocolate and spices, again perfect. This place has spoiled us as we will compare every other Mexican restaurant to this one.

Don't pass this one up. Make the time and go.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank jeantomas
Leiden
“Black mole chicken”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Went there with friends. It is a friendly place with ok service. The black mole chicken I ordered tasted good but I missed something. It went with white rice but not with a salad or vegetables. In the future i would sure order a side...

Visited June 2013
California
“Holy Mole'!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a small place in a small strip mall on Santa Monica Boulevard. It has very friendly service. The decor is simple. The food is very tasty and fresh. The mole's are excellent especially the black mole'. The pricing structure is very reasonable. Our Chef son loves the food here and we have to agree we really enjoyed the place. We will definitely return. We are not experts in Mexican regional food, but the food at Monte Alban qualifies as very enjoyable whatever region one is considering.

• Visited February 2013