“Always excellent, always fresh, Yabu is alive.”
Review of Yabu

Yabu
Ranked #1,466 of 10,744 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Westside
Neighborhood: Westside
Reviewed June 22, 2013

A secret to many unfortunately, but this is one of our favourite Japanese restaurants in the city, in California ok in the world. The best dishes are the lotus root sides, the burdock, the crab hand roll. Fresh dungeness crab no less. The ginger minced chicken on rice, the best. If there space at the counter its a good place to sit and watch the chefs. Pure Japanese "mother's kitchen" at its best.

1  Thank fay V

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I lived in Japan twice, so I feel qualified in saying that in my experience, Yabu serves the Best Soba Outside of Japan. Actually, everything I've eaten there is great!

The place is small. And though the service is efficient, I don't find it to be very friendly, and that has not changed over the many years I've been going there. If you can endure that, and you love soba, it's worth going to Yabu.

2  Thank TokyoJoe55
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The food here is always good. I have tried so many things on the menu here. I bring my daughter here to eat at least once a month. Their homemade cold Soba is excellent. I also like their hot Udon noodles, a perfect al dente texture. Things I order basically every visit include the tapas size chicken Kariage, cold spinach gomai, the monkfish liver....my daughter loves their fried tofu! We eat at the West LA site (have never been to the West Hollywood version). They also make a delicious homemade tofu that is silken soft. They do have valet parking, which is good because self parking in this neighborhood is tough. The restaurant can be very busy, so reservations are a good idea during peak hours and weekends. The lunch menu is basically the same as the dinner menu, but a bit less expensive. They do serve sushi here as well, but I basically come for the noodles and other offerings, though the sushi I have had here is good.

1  Thank mayalavender
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Yabu has two stores; the other one is in West Hollywood. The food, service and prices are very similar, so I'll refer you to my review of the West Hollywood store for comments on those things. As between the two stores, this one (on Pico in West Los Angeles) tends to be busier, so reservations are important. The Pico branch also has a nicer bar to sit at. But, the West Hollywood store (on La Cienaga) has more pleasant seating at tables, and also has an outdoor patio in the back. But, both stores are excellent, so enjoy!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

I was there with my son and relatives on new year's eve to eat toshikoshi soba (there is a Japanese tradition to eat noodle on new year's eve to wish for health and long life). I ordered a lunch set of zarusoba and tendon and both of them were very tasty. Tempura was crisp and soba was cooked perfectly. I would definitely eat there again when I'm in West L.A.

1  Thank SleepyPinga