“A different French bistro in an unexpected place”
Review of Monsieur Marcel's

Monsieur Marcel's
Ranked #111 of 10,042 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Melbourne, Australia
“A different French bistro in an unexpected place”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We loved the atmosphere of the Farmer's Market and the interesting food available but it was a pleasant surprise to come upon this type of bistro in this location. The opportunity to sit at a nice table and have a glass of wine with our meal was a pleasant surprise. The food was a little better than average and the atmosphere and service were good. I had quite a nice chicken pesto salad and my wife had a Croque Monsieur which she said was better than some she had had in France. Meals coming to other tables looked appetising. It is a bit more interesting that some of the mass restaurants at the Grove and contributed to an enjoyable experience.

• Visited May 2013

Valley Village
“It was pretty good - not great.”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had friends visiting from out of state, and had heard great things from others about this spot and the great food. The service was fair to poor - it took quite awhile to get a drink order started, and we were not tended at all after food was served. We had to find someone to correct a mistaken order for one of the guests. It was a nice location - fun to see what was around, and we love the Farmer's Market overall. If I did it again, I would pick another sit-down restaurant in The Grove, and save the walking about the market as a separate before or after dinner agenda item.

• Visited April 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“French Bistro - Good Food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

one of my favorites at the old farmer's market. wonderful ambience outside and perfect to "people watch" as you eat good french-themed cuisine and have a nice verre du vin.

Visited April 2013
los angeles
“Never coming back”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a disapointment! I love the Farmer's Market but not for a nice dinner. The "restaurant" does not allow you to bring your own wine, nor do they have a full bar so you're stuck with ordering their wines. The food was OK at best. The French charcuterie plate was barely edible. My husband's steak was bland and our friend's trout was ok, the other friend's salmon was over-cooked. My scallops were actually pretty good.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank travel72
New York City, New York
“A bit of Paris in Beverly Hills”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This review is for the Beverly Hills location...

After reading some of the negative reviews I was a bit scared to try this place out, especially for my birthday, but my entire party of 4 have no regrets. Everything was fantastic!

The Ambiance: Beautiful, clean, new. I love how I feel (for a second) that I'm sitting at a bistro in Paris. Which is obviously where I'd rather be.

The Service: Amazing! Our waitress was super friendly and enthusiastic. I wish I remember her name! Sounds odd to say this but she may have been the best server I've ever had.

The Food:

*Bread Basket: Good selection and fresh. Not the best bread I've ever had but the salted butter? Fantastic.

*Beet Salad: Hands down the best beets I've ever had ... and I LOVE beets. I definitely can't wait to have this again.

*Smoked Salmon Crostini: Divine. Fresh and light. Just perfect.

*Scallops: This might have been the highlight of the meal. These were cooked perfectly and had just the right amount of salt.

*Bresola: I don't eat meat so I didn't get to try this but it was finished by my friends in a flash. The figs looked amazing.

*Hamburger: Again, I don't eat meat but my friends enjoyed this. I think they mentioned it was a bit rare but still good.

*Goat Cheese Salad (this might not be the official name): I'm not a huge fan of goat cheese but this was good. The honey drizzled on top really made the dish.

The Bottom Line: I love this place. It's way better than the Farmer's Market location and I will be back.

(Just a suggestion if management is reading this...your online menu could use some intervention. It's a bit small and hard to read.)

Visited February 2013