“Tasty Ramen”

Order Online
Ranked #9 of 12,405 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Ryu Isobe was born in Tokyo, Japan in 1988 to actor Hiroshi Isobe. He left Japan at the age of 14 to live in Hawaii, being drawn to explore the world and the American lifestyle. Realizing he wanted to be an entrepreneur at a very young age, USC was an obvious choice for college as it has the best entrepreneur program in Los Angeles, which is the entrepreneurship capital of the world. Ryu was shocked to find the state of ramen in the USA, mostly awful and nothing like the delicious nourishing soups he grew up with. Early in his studies it became obvious to him what to do: establish a tonkotsu ramen restaurant much like what is common on the Tokyo streets but even better. After countless hours of testing with pro Japanese chefs, Ryu finally found something he is proud of, a unique recipe of all-natural ingredients, handcrafted from scratch, nothing short of addicting. Truly, ramen with a soul! Ryu was born in the Year of the Dragon, so what's better than opening up "Tatsu", meaning dragon in Japanese, in the Year of the Dragon, in the greatest city in the world!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

a nice modern styled restaurant serving various Ramen. I had the Hippie Ramen or Vegan Ramen with Tofu. It tasted quite well but not typically Japanese as I know from my Japan trips. The less Miso taste is very nice and I enjoyed. All Ramen are with 15 USD and more quite expensive.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (152)

Reviewed August 30, 2019 via mobile

My friend and I were getting coffee about 10 minutes away from Tatsu, so she said “have you tried this Ramen place?” I had not, so we went. We found on the street parking behind the plaza that Tatsu was in. We went at noon on a weekday and there were no parking spaces in the plaza itself. The meter we used took quarters and cards.

You place your order outside of the restaurant, on iPads. I like this idea. It prioritizes guests who have made up their minds and paid. I can’t say whether it speeds up the process overall because the restaurant was not busy when we arrived.

As soon as we paid, we were sat. Inside there’s bar-like seating facing the kitchen. You can watch them make your delicious meal while you wait.

I got the bold ramen and a pork bun. It was so good. The pork bun was so filling, I didn’t finish the ramen. I brought it home to my husband!

I would go to Tatsu again. Quick delicious food!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 6, 2019 via mobile

Very good Ramen
Moist and spiced to perfection.
The place is clean and the staff is great.
The wait is a bit annoying
But worth it

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed July 18, 2019 via mobile

It's a busy ramen spot especially for dinner so we went for lunch. Had the old skool ramen. The broth is richly flavored from pork bones cooked for hours. The noodles are firm and chewy and includes roast pork, mushrooms and green onions.
Takeout is available which may be a option for the dinner time rush.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed July 4, 2019 via mobile

After keep reading all the raving reviews about how great this ramen restaurant is, we had to check it out during our trip to LA and sadly we came with high expectations but left quite unhappy because my meal was very average.
First the wagyu ramen burger then the bold ramen. I think the people who rave about the bold ramen so much, they’ve never had a bowl of good authentic ramen before. You cannot choose the hardness of the noodles and for me they made it too soft and the broth was really not exciting, quite bland. The only good soup was the one my girlfriend had, the red ramen. The red ramen was overall much better and tastier. I’m not saying anything was particularly bad just pretty average, except the red ramen which was quite nice. I definitely wouldn’t queue up again though for over an hour just to get a table.

Date of visit: June 2019