“Puffy TACOS”

Bar Ama
Ranked #479 of 9,944 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Maryville
“Puffy TACOS”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This restaurant recommendation came from someone at another place actually. It was close to my hotel and seemed to have a nice bar/restaurant feel so I gave it a try. I sat at the bar which was really nice, it's a smaller place so I'd recommend reservations if you are more than a solo. I would have like to have saw a few more local beer on the menu, but I did wine with a cheap mexican beer. I had the homemade guoc for starters which was great, everything is made in house even the chips. This was a lot for one person so I asked the bartender what would be something no so heavy to finish my meal. He suggested the fried puffy taco. Very reasonably priced at $7 for a nice sized taco and it was really good. I'd recommend this place to anyone for great tex mex.

• Visited January 2014

rescue
“BESt New Mexican Food I've ever had”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Our family had dinner there 12/23.The Lobster taquitos ,ceviche, fresh chips,homemade root beer with a hint of chocolate were wonderful.One of the family is vegetarian so we had blistered baby squash and fried brussels sprouts.My husband had vowed never to eat brussels sprouts recently; he changed his mind and loved them.Wonderful spot

• Visited December 2013
“Awesome food!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch at Bar Ama earlier this week with a friend; neither of us had been there before.

Everything we ordered (Cilantro Ceasars salad, Ceviche, Green Enchilladas) was really tasty and well presented. We loved every bite of it. Great lunch experience with very attentive service.

Will for sure go back there again!

Los Angeles
“Raising the Bar”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Excellent spin on Mexican from one of L.A.'s most creative chefs with his own mini-empire downtown. Service was exceptional and the server made helpful recommendations on what to order given the time constraints on the meal. I look forward to coming back and trying more of the menu.

• Visited November 2013
Los Angeles, California
“excellent”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great service and great food. All the staff was knowledgeable and helpful. Everything from cocktails to desert was great.

Visited October 2013