“Tanino is on a slippery slope”
Review of Tanino

Tanino
Reserve with OpenTable
Tanino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,094 of 10,090 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Westside
Cross street: Weyburn/ Kinross
Los Angeles
“Tanino is on a slippery slope”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After a theater outing at the Geffen, we went to this restaurant, and were disappointed for the second time within only a few weeks. The first time the food and the service were poor, I chalked it up to every restaurant having a bad night now and again. I don't like to be quick to complain, especially when I have had good experiences in the past, as I have had, not only here, but at other Drago-owned restaurants. Once is an off night - two in a row is a restaurant that is on a slippery slope. First, I had a reservation for 9:45 PM. I called twice to confirm and they called me an additional time to re-confirm. Yet when I arrived at precisely 9:45, having walked over from the Geffen, they found the need to remind me two times within less than five minutes that the kitchen would be closing at 10:00. At 10:00, I noticed them seating another party who had presumably just walked in without a reservation. Who knows what was said to them about the kitchen closing. We ordered a salad and a pasta - simple enough. The salad was so off balance in terms of the olive oil v. vinegar, that one in the party added olive oil in the hope of offsetting the sharp taste of the (cheap) vinegar. OK. One can easily argue that some people prefer a more tart or piquant dressing, but when the pappardelle arrived, I was seriously appalled. It was horribly overcooked. It was mushy and glued together, as if it had sat for a very long time congealing. Ditto the lamb ragu. I have eaten lamb ragu from Osteria Angelini in Los Angeles, to various restaurants in Bologna, Rome, and Naples. I know what a lamb ragu is supposed to taste like. This sauce was old, tired, stale, and greasy. Awful. And awful for the second time in a row at this restaurant. When we were initially seated, I ordered a glass of champagne. I did not have to taste it to see that it was flat. I could see the lack of bubbles indicating a flat champagne as soon as the glass was set down infront of me. If I could see it, surely the waiter could see it as well. Without a doubt, the person (bartender?) who poured it knew when the bottle had been opened. But I had to take a sip to confirm, and then send it back. By the time it reappeared, I was mostly finished with my salad, and had ordered a glass of brunello to go with the pappadelle, so I ended up leaving most of a $20 glass of champagne behind. The brunello was supposedly a 2005. From the taste and from how fruit forward the wine was, I am pretty sure that I did not get wine from 2005. My companion drank most of that glass of wine. At about $150 for two salads, two glasses of wine, and ONE split pasta dish, I expect a LOT more than what I got. The service was perfunctory at best. If there was a manager or maitre d' or host(ess), we never saw him or her for a greeting. I will not return soon, if ever.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank LATraveller77

London, England, United Kingdom
“Quality Italian in the heart of Westwood”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We decided to go to Tanino after seeing a number of positive reviews here on Tripadvisor. I was very pleased afterwards despite initial concerns over quality given that the prices are at the mid-to-high level range.

Only a short walk from the W hotel, it's right in the centre of Westwood on a fairly busy boulevard. Nonetheless, we took an outside table and it was quite comfortable for the whole evening.

The food was excellent. Trying both a regular menu item and one of the specials, the flavours were well balanced and presentation was simple but effective. I was pleased with the service, being not too over-bearing whilst at the same time always nearby.

Along the same lines as some of the other reviews posted here, I think that the wine list is perhaps a touch overpriced but not extortionate, with a Barolo at $20 a glass.

All in all, highly recommended for a quiet dinner with friends, family or for business.

• Visited September 2012
Rancho Mirage, California
“A very pleasant surprise...”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Last evening, we went to see a play at the Gefen Playhouse in Westwood. Wanting to eat near the theatre, the closest restaurant was Tanino. Didn't know much about it....but, boy, would I run back in a second.

Housed in an old building from 1921, the structure itself is like an old European bistro. Great ceilings, fireplace, mirrored bar, etc.

The food.....top notch. Having been to Italy many times, I am very fussy about good Italian food.
Their salads were amazing and delicious. My burrata chesse salad could have fed too. Rich, fresh, authentic cheese. My friend enjoyed the lobster salad.

The "special of the day" appealed to both of us: homemade, fresh fettucine with scallops, shrimp and asparigus in a light sauce. The whole menu looked great and each dish was beautifully prepared.

The homemade cannoli was wonderful. All in all....great food....fair prices, good service...very comfortable atmosphere.

We will be back.

• Visited August 2012
Helsinki, Finland
“Very good Italian - perhaps slightly overpriced”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our hotel recommended this restaurant - seems to be one of the only "better" italian restaurants in the neighborhood. I might be slightly underrating it, but I felt that it was perhaps overpriced. The food was good but not exceptional. Ambiance was fair but not good.

• Visited July 2012
“If only the wine list were a bit more reasonable...”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Really enjoyed Tanino. Food, service, quaint and slightly crowded seating (sat at bar which only seats 6-7) were all excellent. The wind list, which was plenty varied and of good quality is just a bit on the side of overdone pricewise, esp. the splits. Still, I'll go back. Just won't order a split.