“Good...”

Star of India Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #6,536 of 10,254 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Hollywood
Description: Welcome Best Indian restaurant in Central Los Angeles. Now We're available for online orders - Powered By Clorder
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I tried here last night on our visit to LA from the UK. There was only one couple in the restaurant so we were a bit worried.

I ordered a chicken bhuna which is normally mild to medium but this blew my head off! My partner ordered a chicken tikka which was lovely. The garlic naan was beautiful!

I'm from a city where curry is first on the menu, but if id asked for mine milder then it would have been perfect. It's not that it didnt taste great as it did, just too hot for me.

I think something they could improve on is the service, it was definitely below what you'd expect. Not chatty at all and to say for the majority we were the only people in there you'd think he'd want to speak to us. If he'd been a bit more polite then it would have been perfect! However, this didn't take away from a nice meal. They also packed up our leftovers to take home :)

Would definitely return and recommend.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

We were visiting Los Angeles and a search on our Navigation system led us to this place. What luck ! It turned out to be one of the best Indian meals I had had in a long time.

It is a decent sized restaurant, not too large but not very small either (it probably has seating for about 40 - 50 people). There is street side metered parking and they also have their own parking in the back.

Our party included some vegetarians, so we ordered a mix of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes - lamb korma, butter chicken and saag paneer along with naans and sodas.

The chicken and lamb were both fresh and tender, the gravy was rich and tasty with just the right amount of spices. The only word I can think of to describe the saag paneer is 'pure'. The spinach had not been crushed to a puree and stillretained a leafy texture, and it was one of the tastiest saag paneers I have ever eaten. The naans were warm and soft and stayed that way through the meal, unlike some places where they start getting chewy very soon.

We finished off the meal with a rice pudding and pistachio ice cream. The rice pudding was out of this world; the ice cream was standard fare, probably purchased from some local shop.

When we were leaving and I complemented our waiter on the quality of their food, he expressed his thanks and mentioned that they have been around for over 15 years at the same location.

All in all, a memorable meal. Will definitely revisit when I am in LA next.

1  Thank Frugal S
Reviewed October 20, 2010

This restaurant has become one of our classics. It is located on a lively section
of Melrose. Parking nearby on a saturday night is hard, so we usually park on La Brea, a couple of blocks south of Melrose, a short walk away. The restaurant is medium size, maybe 12 tables, with simple and pleasant decor. It tends to be quiet, so it is a good place to talk. The menu is the standard Indian fare, nothing exceptional in terms of variety, but I find the food really well prepared. The tastes of the different dishes are well defined, and do not get lost in unnecessary sauces and condiments. It is inexpensive, with entrees at 12-14$. The assorted appetizer dish ($8) is actually large enough to be one entree on its own, and sometimes I just get that and a salad. The salad ($3) is surprisingly good and refreshing: they cut the lettuce finely and add fresh chopped tomatoes and onions, with a simple lemon condiment. For the entrees my favorite is the Lemon lamb, with a very delicate sweet and sour sauce. The service is excellent, and if you go there repeatedly they will recognize you and remember your favorites.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 26, 2007

Really good Indian food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Had 3 different Shrimp dishes. They all had a distinct, great taste and totally rocked!! In fact this is the best Indian food I've ever had in the US.