“Great opera”

$499.00*
Private Sightseeing Tour of Los Angeles in a Luxurious SUV
Ranked #118 of 577 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: This spectacular locale hosts year-round entertainment.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We've been twice in the past couple years and enjoyed both performances (Simon Boccanegra and Madame Butterfly) immensely. Unfortunately, by the time we fly in and find a hotel (even at Jerry's) we only feel like we can afford the cheap seats. The chairs are a little narrow up there in opera glass country. Might have to open the wallet a little next time. Check if there is a pre-show lecture - worth the time and you might get closer parking in the garage. Parking is a good deal for LA.

There are newer reviews for Dorothy Chandler Pavilion

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Love this place. Huge stage and huge entrance. Nice fountain in the front. Everyone was nicely dressed it was a nice night! I am looking for more plays so we can go again.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I cannot visit L.A. without going downtown to attend LA Opera at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. This gorgeous music center, with it's fountains; chandeliers; Tony Duquette design, is just gorgeous. LA Opera's "Carmen", with top tenor Tiago Arancam was spectacular; not an empty seat in the entire hall.....we had front row seats right behind the conductor, which allowed us the MOST fantastic views of this gorgeous Bizet masterpiece, as well as seeing the intensity on each stars face AND watch the symphony right below, in front of us. It was a divine evening - made even more divine by strolling through the Music Center Plaza on a perfect Friday night. Being friends with Tony Duquette's protege' allowed me to introduce my friend to this incredible venue;and tell her the history of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. If you are visiting the L.A. area, do contact the opera and see this archetectural wonder (which is as relevant today as when it was designed nearly 50 years ago....) and enjoy the BEST opera company in the US, headed by none other than Placido Domingo!!!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've lived in LA all my life and never been to an opera until this past Tuesday night. Carmen was presented and the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion I decided that after a stressful the best thing to do is to enjoy a night at the theater. I got there at 5:30 for a 7:30 showing, parking was super easy. $9 to part and the best spot is the 4th level right in front of the escalator sign. I went upstairs to the plaza and sat in front of the beautiful fountains taking in the marvelous of LA. It is a beautiful city when you are not in your car and sitting in traffic. There is a restaurant on the plaza level but I though a $5 Subway sandwich would be just fine (brought it from the lobby of my office building). I bought a glass of wine for $10 to go with my sandwich and sat right outside the DCP underneath a shady umbrella. The doors opened at 6pm and I had the whole place to myself. I walked around, took pictures, used the facilities and then the biggest treat of all. I attended a pre-performance chat with Placido Domingo. The Grand Hall filled up rather quickly so I was glad that I got there so early. My sister joined me later for the opera which was brilliant!!! ordering the tickets is super easy on line and you get to avoid the line. Also, by ordering the tickets on line you will receive email blast prior to the performance with interesting information and after the performance you get to send in a review. what a nice treat for a busy LA gal!!

1  Thank Rosemary Z
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Yesterday I visited the Music Center for the first time in my life and was amazed to discover this piece of gem. The buildings are really nice (yeah, remind me of Europe); there are beautiful fountains and places to walk or sit and have a drink. The view is kind of breathtaking. And if you are lucky you might crush on some dancing or singing event :)