“Downtown LA Luncheon Landmark”

Fisherman's Outlet Restaurant and Market
Ranked #596 of 10,746 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Fisherman’s Outlet, whose motto is “Gourmet food at Affordable Prices” is an downtown LA landmark, which went into business in 1961. Adjacent to the wholesale food-refrigerated storage area of industrial downtown, it’s a fish market next to a counter-service restaurant with a roof-only covering for (mostly) concrete tables and chairs, and a parking lot in the back. The menu at the counter can be roughly divided into FRIED and CHARBOILED with chowder, seafood cocktails and a few salads tossed to round things out. There are daily specials, usually under $12. The choice of fish is impressive and, if grilled, is served with garlic butter, cajun or teriyaki sauce and french fries or rice and coleslaw. Seafood is limited to shrimp, scallops calamari and crab. Keeping things simple means everything is fresh-cooked quickly andthe place can do quite a volume. Customers can grab lunch, stop by the seafood market and pick up a (much larger) choice of fresh fish or seafood at much better prices than grocery chains and go home to cook for family and friends.

2  Thank Gail B

Reviewed February 28, 2010

Love the shrimp salad, they just pile it on. Good price for the amount they give.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Arcadia, California
Reviewed October 31, 2008

Very fresh seafood

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Did I say oh my god yet?
I first started coming here about 8 years ago, but I moved further west and soon dreaded the drive from the westside to downtown. I started a new job, a new relationship and soon forgot about it all together. Fastforward that to last Saturday.
I picked my girlfriend up in Echopark and started looking for a place to eat. Will it be El Cochinito or maybe Alegria on Sunset? Don't feel like fighting with all the Priuses for a parking spot. Spain (on Glendale Bl @ the 2fwy) sounds good.
Just then, I get a message from the Gods that helps me decide. It seems that the Traffic Gods really don't want me to go North (sorry Spain) or West.
I head East.
Past the lonely criminal buildings, through Little Toyko (looking good) and into the factory district. Just as I think it's hopeless, I get a whiff of a crackhead sitting on the corner and I it comes to me. FISH...

Fisherman's Outlet. Thank you lord for the signs..... I start getting excited as all the wonderful memories start coming back to me. I tell my girlfriend to look for the line of people coming out of the door. Soon enough we see just that. We find parking very quickly and take our place in line. I hear the happiness in peoples voices as they tell their friends what they're going to choose. How could you not be excited. The menu is vast. The place is BUSY and loud.. It's almost chaotic, but it works... We each got the Sampler plate which was $9.99 and included breaded shrimp, a lot of catfish and a crabcake on top of french fries. Served with coleslaw, tarter sauce and cocktail sauce. Wow.
My girlfriend doesn't really like seafood and she almost finished her plate and want's to go back very soon.
The place has it all. Anything you want (pretty much) and it's FRESH.... They also serve beer and wine. Lot's of tables, but they are always packed. You won't have to wait too long for a place to sit.

1  Thank NovaWagon65
Reviewed December 22, 2007

You need to go there early...between 11:30-12:30. Otherwise good luck waiting in line and finding a table. I love their whole catfish with rice, the garlic and garlic butter sauce!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook