“Quality Steaks” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carlitos Gardel

Carlitos Gardel
Reserve with OpenTable
Carlitos Gardel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 9,848 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Budapest, Hungary
“Quality Steaks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Carlitos serves one the finest Argentinian steaks in LA. I jeard they also serve good seafood but I had steaks both times I visited.
The sommelier is knowledgable about Argentinian wines. Recommended.

• Visited April 2014

Hollywood, Florida
“Lovely Location for Birthday and Anniversary Celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

After HOURS of searching for a location that serves acceptable quality grass-fed meat, we settled on Carlitos Gardel on Melrose. One son is gluten free, the other follows Paleo and only grass-fed would be acceptable. We were celebrating one birthday and one 1st year anniversary. This was a great selection. We started with appetizers of burrata and the mushrooms. We were a party of four and each of the appetizers had three pieces. I gave up my sharing of burrata and 1/2 of the anniversary partner gave up a mushroom. We ordered assorted beef dishes and none of us was disappointed. We took a pass on dessert/coffee. The house served a delicious scoop of dulce du leche ice cream with a candle for the birthday boy.

• Visited July 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Finest Argentinian Steakhouse this side of B.A.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Everything is exceptional. My wife is Argentinian from Buenos Aires and this is where we go for special occasions. It is without question the finest Argentina restaurant in Southern California and one of the best restaurants overall in Los Angeles. The fries, the morcilla, the asado, the service, the dessert...it is all wonderfull. Highly recommend!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Scott K
Grove City, Pennsylvania
“Steaks and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

My wife and I were visiting LA for our anniversary and decided to try this restaurant. We made our reservations through OpenTable and I indicated it was our anniversary; we could not have had a finer meal or service.

The restaurant is located off of Melrose in an area you wouldn't expect to find such a nice restaurant. I'm not suggesting it is a "bad" area (it isn't) but it feels tucked away as though you'd miss it if you weren't looking for the restaurant. But, there is great food to be had if you venture inside.

This is not your typical steakhouse as it is done with an Argentine flair both in terms of wine, preparation, and food selection. My wife and I split a chicken empanada for an appetizer which was extremely well made; we might have had a salad or another empanada but we wanted to save room for our main dishes. My wife decided on the gnocchi with bolognese sauce while I had a Tapa de Ojo ribe-eye; I'll take each dish in turn. The Gnocchi was extremely well prepared but the best part of the meal was the bolognese sauce. As this is a very good steak restaurant the sauce was not only sweet and savory but had rich helpings of extremely tender meat. If you want a hint of the quality of the meat, while not committing to one of their cuts, I'd recommend this option. My Tapa de Ojo was one of the most tender and well-cooked steaks I'd ever had. I like my meat medium rare and their preparation was right on the nose, the meat crumbled in my mouth. The meat is of extremely fine quality so you shouldn't worry about paying alot for a cut of meat that doesn't, well, cut it. We decided to split a dessert that was fantastic - a chocolate cake with vanilla ice-cream and dulce de leche sauce. The cake was warm and moist, the ice-cream either made on site or they have purchased a very fine brand. A fabulous meal that we enjoyed tremendously and really made our anniversary special.

Wine Selection: A comment on wine deserves a section all its own. The wine selection is, in a word, huge. The wine selection is, honestly, a bit overwhelming which is why having the assistance of the sommelier is recommended. After ordering our meal he came by to give us a series of selections that would work well with our menu. For our empanada a sparkling white wine while he also selected two very fine reds for our respective main dishes. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for advice as the sommelier was both helpful and decidedly not pushy. He was not attempting to push us on $300 bottles of wines - he saw we were looking more at wine by the glass and so made recommendations to fit our budget and what we ordered. I also appreciated that he still pushed us to enjoy some of the selections that made their restaurant distinct, specifically in terms of Argentine selections.

Atmosphere/Service. The restaurant is well laid out with low lighting and an O-shaped corridor running around the restaurant. One of the nicer elements of this set-up is that the wait staff and Sommelier could wander in circles attending to each table as needed. The staff was exceptionally well-trained in that they were exceedingly attentive without being in the way. Water glasses were refilled, plates were taken away, and yet our conversation or private dinner was not interrupted. If you are used to "How is everything?" right as you've taken a bite of food? That will not be the case in this restaurant. It made for a very pleasant evening and one we could enjoy.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank RobC614
Los angeles
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Wonderful restaurant. Extensive wine list and they will help in picking. Plates could be on food magazine covers. Service is top notch. Even though this is a more formal restaurant children are welcome - you can always feed them the garlic fries. Desserts are something else, a lot of dulce de leche, which if you have ever been to Argentina you know is a mainstay.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank OracleLosAngeles

Been to Carlitos Gardel? Share your experiences!