“Superb Cerveteca”

Neighborhood: Venice
Paris, France
“Superb Cerveteca”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Mama's ceviche, made with lime cured fish, tomato, cilantro, radish, jicama, mango, and cucumber for $9 at Happy Hour ($16 during regularly) is a fresh citrusly medley of ingredients. We added some of the pickled relish from the table to perk it up with some jalapeno, but for those who want no heat, it is good by itself. The accompanying chips are made from the handmade tortillas, so they can be addictive.

The Baja taco was the best fish tacos I've ever eaten. Period. For $4 at Happy Hour or $12 (for three) on the regular menu, the beer batter dipped and fried cod with slaw, crema, salsa, and aji sauce was the perfect combination of soft, crunchy, warm, creamy, and spicy (if you add the sauce served on the side). If anyone you know does not like fish or tacos, I would bet that after a bite of this taco they would change their minds (and I'm not a gambler).

I had the Herb and Garlic Basted Game Hen for $18, made with achiote, tomato, thyme, rosemary, arroz ajillo, with a side (I chose the brussel sprouts with bacon), and tortilla. This game hen was one of the best versions I have ever eaten, with the skin and meat both infused with achiote and perfectly roasted. The brussel sprouts had incredible chunks of thick bacon, but it was a bit overwhelmed by the cider finish, but I loved the Arroz Ajillo was delightful, with just a hint of flavor that complimented the game hen perfectly.

• Visited May 2013

Gothenburg, Sweden
“My absolute favorite in Venice. Neighborhood fiesta!!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I feel a little bad about writing about this place on TA. It's such a cool local hangout.. And, it needs to stay the same... However, I hope a few tourist will get the opportunity to experience their absolutely fab menu and ambience. So here we go:

They have a patio out front and a "bar-seating" facing to open kitchen. Great entertainment. Will for sure keep everyone away from phones, Facebook and Instgram (well, might even encurage for the last one on second thought...). Raw wooden panels and lightbulbs - hope not to offend anyone but I did get a little bit of that "Williamsburg coolness". Hipster -ish. Right or wrong. Creative peoples hangout. And I love that!

Anyways: They do an astonishing burger. They serve fantastic fried pickles. Their Fish taco is the best one I've ever had - served with beer-battered cod. Contemporary! Someone said it's concept is "Southern American comfort food" and that's probably not far off. Fried plantains too? Check. Desert list feature banana cream pies and a couple of daily specials.

• Visited February 2013