“As good as it was 50 years ago”

Bear Pit Bar-b-que Restaurant
Ranked #1,243 of 10,793 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: North San Fernando Valley
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have been eating at the Bear Pit for at least 50 years - it used to be my favorite restaurant when I was just a kid and could chose a place to eat for my birthday. You've got to LOVE this place. Down to earth, sawdust on floor, great smoked meats. Try the sandwich (your choice of ham, beef, pork, etc.) on garlic toast. The only change I've noticed in 50 years is the little tarts for dessert are no longer available - boohoo!

1  Thank RogerF679

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I've been coming to the Bear Pit since I was a child and now I'm retirement age and love it just as much!
From the time they open at 11:30 for lunch until closing time, this place is bustling with activity and happy diners! They're busy, but service is quick and the time from giving your order to receiving your food is amazingly fast (5 minutes or so!).
Your server greets you with a complementary relish dish (carrots, celery and dill pickle spears). The menu is varied and there is a senior menu and a lunch special menu. I can't bring myself to order anything but my old favorite...barbeque beef brisket sandwich on garlic bread! It is sooo good! My health-conscious companion ordered an tasty light entree of barbequed chicken (sauce on the side) and cole slaw. She said it was delicious.
The Bear Pit is just north of the Simi Valley Freeway (118) on Sepulveda in Mission Hills.

1  Thank travelingrandma91355
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This restaurant offers a variety of barbecue plates at very good prices. The ribs, chicken and steaks are always nicely prepared and tasty. The service is good even when they are very busy as the wait staff know how to take orders and deliver food with a minimum of wasted time and effort. We always order the big platters and take home enough for a couple meals.

1  Thank Luvsailing
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've been going to the Bear Pit since 2002! The BBq either the pork or brisket is fantastic! I have lived in the Carolina,Georgia,and through out the south,but I would put this BBQ against anyone anywhere! The BBQ BEANS are awsome! The combination in the beans of brown sugar,molassis,and whatever the combination is amazing! You can make a meal of the beans alone, just give yourself some"alone" time after you've had a good portion of them! This is the kind of place you keep going back to! I drive 2 hours to eat here! By the way the ribs are a whole review by themselves...bring your appitite!

1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant since I was a little kid. There have been a number of owners over the years but they have maintained the charm, great service, and tasty recipes throughout. It's a fun old place with sawdust shavings on the floor. The food is great. I've had most of their salads and all of the meat courses. The ribs are excellent. The chicken is always tasty. The burgers are yummy. The fries are very good. There BBQ sauce is so tasty. The atmosphere is very casual and friendly. The wait staff always has a nice smile and a warm hello.

1  Thank smckowan