“Good For Veiw and Martini...”
Review of Yamashiro

Yamashiro
Reserve with OpenTable
Yamashiro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 10,134 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Franklin Avenue
Transit: Metro Red Line to Hollywood & Highland. Walk west down Hollywood Blvd turn right on Orange and cross at the light on Franklin. Once you cross at the light go left and turn right at sycamore going up the hill. It is a very steep hill so walking in dress shoes or in the dark are not recommended. We suggest calling a cab at the bottom of the hill.
Description: Yamashiro - translated to "mountain palace" - broke ground in 1911 and was completed in 1914 as a residence for the Bernheimer brothers. Housing a priceless collection of Asian treasures, the building was designed as a replica of a palace located in the mountains near Kyoto, Japan. During the "Golden Age" of Hollywood, Yamashiro served as the ultra-exclusive hang-out for the "Club of the Four Hundred": the era's most famous and influential stars and movie moguls. The structure and its grounds served as a boy's military school and later apartments before being acquired in 1948 by the Thomas O. Glover, who discovered the beauty beneath the disrepair and refurbished the space. Currently owned by Thomas Y. Glover, Yamashiro is still flourishing over 60 years later as an Asian-inspired Los Angeles institution.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've been here with my wife last summer, passing by LA during my honeymoon... We head about it regarding spectacular Martini Cocktails... The place is astonishingly located on the holliwood hills so is good for sloping dow after dinner but not for climbing before on foot. The food is good, the service as well... Teh cocktails amazing and the view stunning. I'm sorry about forget almost half the dinner cause i've been drunk... i'll be back next summer

There are newer reviews for Yamashiro

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

On my second trip to Yamashiro, I was very pleased. I had been years ago, and I chose to eat there again based off my memories of the views. This time, not only did the views impress me, the food was the best I had eaten on the trip. Go for the Wagyu steak!

The whole staff was very attentive, and our specific waitress was top notch. I would highly recommend Yamashiro to anyone.

YamashiroLA, Public Relations Manager at Yamashiro, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

That's great to hear you came back for the views & was pleasantly surprised by the food and service as well! Thank you for your review. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Best views I've seen in LA, the food was fantastic. The yellow fin tuna sashimi with truffle oil. I order 3 plates!!! We also took a fancy to the distinguished sake - very nice.

YamashiroLA, Public Relations Manager at Yamashiro, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

The truffle hamachi is our favorite, as well! Thanks for your visit and writing a review. See you soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

And what a view, especially on a lovely clear night. It's just above the Magic Castle. The food is excellent - although a little pricey, but worth going - I love their excellent flavors that they use on their seafood. Always served by pleasant servers. Make a reservation - and you have to Valet your car.

YamashiroLA, Public Relations Manager at Yamashiro, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a sweet review, highlighting our view and cuisine. We do hope you visit us the next time you're in LA and looking for excellent seafood!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We love going here for sunset cocktails and dinner - The view of the city lighting up is great, and the history of the place is fun when folks see it show up in movies and television. It's an icon - and they have done a great job in creating a beautiful environment with its external gardens to walk about, and the internal koi pond and gardens inside. A bit pricey, but fun for special visits with family and friends.

If you enjoy the view, sunset, and gardens, we hope that you've visited the outdoor Pagoda Bar, which is open now through September. Thank you for the kind words. Looking forward to having you again!