Prado
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wilshire
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This place has been around for years and it's easy to see why: interesting Caribbean/Central American food (shrimp, chicken and crab cakes outstanding) served by friendly, competent staff. There are tables out front, and cozy dining space inside with a vaguely Spanish look. Casual place, but with carefully prepared food.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The place is very interesting, plain walls but painted ceiling. IT kinda felt we are in a foreign country, maybe Cuba or Peru? Not sure. The lighting is very different from a standard american restaurant. Our server was very nice and attentive. The food was delicious and actually very well priced for Larchmont but portions were a bit small for American standards. The deserts are very good, we tried the red velvet.

Thanks management for the livingsocial deal, we wouldnt have tried the place otherwise!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you watch cooking shows as I do, you know that the test for wannabe cooks is often a plain omelet. It is said that if you can't get that right, you might as well pack your knives and go (ha!).

For me, the test is Caesar salad. I love them. Such a simple dish, and yet so often a mess. There are many ways to go wrong - wilted old lettuce, gloppy dressing, rock-hard croutons, too much or not enough cheese. At Prado I had a Caesar salad topped with grilled shrimp and it was absolute PERFECTION. The romaine was fresh and crisp, dressing tangy and just thick enough to adhere to the leaves, the right amount of parmesan, small croutons that don't break your teeth. The shrimp were grilled exactly the way I like them. Tails on, firm, delicious seasonings. I ate everything on the plate, and it was a good sized dinner portion.

My dinner companion had the Grilled Lime Chicken. Mesquite-grilled boneless breast of chicken brushed with fresh lemon and lime juices and seasoned with fresh herbs, served with rice and veggies. He loved it.

This Carribean restaurant has much more adventurious selections than those we ordered, but the most important thing is enjoying what you order, right? And we loved every bite.

They serve you a nice little sliced breadroll with a garlic/oil dipping sauce when you sit down. The service was perfect. It's a cute restaurant on an adorable street. Larchmont is so quaint and lovely, you may forget you're in L.A. for a little while.

Street parking, but not a problem to park. They have some sidewalk seating with outdoor heaters. The restaurant is not inexpensive, but I would be happy to eat there again because the food is worth the money.

You can see the menu at: http://losangeles.menupages.com/restaurants/prados/menu

Reviewed November 3, 2012

First of all, the larchmont area restaurants are a large step above the "chain restaurants" that have taken over much of the LA dining scene. The dining experience in this area have some of the most innovative chefs I have seen. This is not "formula" food dining. With that said, I have to agree with reviewer - LymeBayBornandBred - Prado provides a very memorable experience.

There were four of us and each of us picked a difference Sampler plate. These are large portions, allowing all of us to sample these culinary arts. And as LymeBayBornandBred pointed out, It is "simply one of the best places" we have been too in a long time. The latin sampler with carioca chicken, steak Argentina and Shrimp Negros was my favorite. Equally good was the service - helpful but not hovering. If you are looking for something unique and excellent, this is the place!

Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

What a great dining experience! First off our server did it all to accommodate a gluten allergy and checked with the kitchen and made honest and great suggestions when one pick did not fit the bill. We chose the salad sampler and the Caribbean sampler for our dinner. The salads with chicken were clean and lite and the chicken gave just the right little bonus, but the star for me was the curried fruit salad! The Caribbean sampler had empanadas, el pollo negro and Jamaican tamales. All 3 were great but the tamales are something to jump up and down about. Not dense and hard packed like a Mexican tamale but light and fluffy sweet corn with tomatillo sauce. The sweet and tanginess were so well balanced. And the Sangria was top notch. All in all this gem is just that, something rare and wonderful.