“We paid a lot to get food poisoning - abysmal response from staff.”

Nick & Stef's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Nick & Stef's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #315 of 10,299 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Metro: 4th & Hill; Dash: Route B, Grand + 4th;
Description: Nick & Stef's Steakhouse is a fine dining restaurant in downtown Los Angeles, offering prime steak and seafood by James Beard Award winning Chef Splichal.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I know that no matter how expensive the meal, no matter high-end the restaurant, things happen. Though getting sick from a meal is never a good experience, Nick & Stef's greatest failure is not having the courtesy to even respond to my incident.

My friend and I attended the LA Opera and had dinner at Nick & Stef's afterwards. We selected two different types of steaks (dry-aged USDA Prime Hand cut New York and Rib-Eye) and shared them. We were very pleased as the chef split the steaks for us. We enjoyed a bottle of wine and felt the table service was good.

Several hours after the meal, however, my friend began to feel sick. We cut our evening short and drove towards home. The drive home was very painful, embarrassing and uncomfortable. A few hours later, I also became ill with the same symptoms.

As we had had different things for breakfast and did not eat lunch that day, coupled with the timing and both of us exhibiting the same symptoms, it was fairly obvious that we had become ill from the shared meal at Nick & Stef's. I was so upset that we were both sick all night and into the next day, that I called straight away to notify them that something was awry in the kitchen. I was met with a flippant, unconcerned and discourteous response from the person who answered the phone. I was told the manager was not available and he would be the person to address my report. The person on the phone did not even bother to tell me the chef would be informed of my report! I got the name of the manager and decided to write a letter right away.

I then wrote Nick & Stef's a letter addressing it to the manager. I provided my check number, time of reservation and the items we ate. I informed management we both became ill. My friend likewise wrote a letter with the same information.

To this day I have heard NOTHING from Nick & Stef's. Not only did we pay a great deal of money for a meal that made us both sick, but I was treated with disrespect and lack of concern when I reported the matter. Now, I can understand that someone answering the phone may be having a bad day, is untrained, unprofessional or all 3 - but to have the manager of the restaurant not even bother to respond to my letter was the icing on the cake. (My friend has likewise heard nothing from them.)

This is a very poorly run operation. I will never eat there again and I am skeptical about the training and operations of Patina Group after this experience.

Beware.

3  Thank Denise D

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is my go-to place for a business lunch. It's across the street from my office. They can always take us on short notice, and usually the service is good even when they are crowded. The steak salad is delicious if you like goat cheese and poblano chilies--I have difficulty ordering anything else. The steaks and sides are also wonderful. They also have a great happy hour with decent prices.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had dinner here on Valentines day, and while the server's very long falsies were quite distracting, the steak was really, really good. I had mac and cheese as sidings (too much veggies already earlier in the week) and the meal was almost perfect. I say almost because the servings were really generous. I prefer finishing my food, but this is one time when the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak:-)!!! Too full already!!! Definitely worth coming back to.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I went here for a romantic night out. The service was fast and friendly. We had to wait a while for the food but it was hot and delicious once it arrived. The wine the waiter suggested paired perfectly with out steaks. We have plans to go back next week!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had a business dinner at Nick & Stef's when in LA. The menu is varied and offers a choice for every taste. Service was very nice. The wine list offered an excellent selection. The food came out in a reasonable amount of time for a party of 15. Price is on the mid to high end.

Been to Nick & Stef's Steakhouse? Share your experiences!