“bad service, bad food...”
Review of Rambutan Thai - CLOSED

Rambutan Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Rambutan Thai offers you some of the area's best and well-crafted Thai and Southeast Asian cuisine in a great venue with exotic and modern decor. We are open for both dine-in or take out if you're on the go. Named after an exotic tree in Southeast Asia, Rambutan Thai uses only the best quality ingredients available and makes sure everything you order is as fresh as possible. Need a place for lunch? Rambutan Thai has delicious lunch specials until 3pm through the week that include many favorites such as Pad Thai, Beef Noodle Soup, and Tom Yum Noodle Soup. Join us for dinner for our full hearty dishes including a wide array of Curries, Stir Fry, and signature plates like the Catfish Fu Fu and Roast Duck Breast. Rambutan Thai is the perfect destination for your next date night or just a casual outing with friends and family, and while you're at it, enjoy a drink from our great selection of beer and wine. We're confident that you will leave full and satisfied. Whenever you're craving the best Thai cuisine food in Los Angeles, make a trip to Rambutan Thai hid for something special.
Reviewed April 10, 2008

bad service, bad food...

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 31, 2008

Really good Thai food!

Reviewed December 17, 2007

The food is great. A nice spin on Traditional Thai. Only minus is the restaurant doesn't have a full bar and it's much better to pick up rather than have delivered!

Reviewed June 13, 2007

My wife and I had heard that this was a great place from a number of people, so we decided to give it a try.

As soon as we walked in we noticed how the tables were set uncomfortably close. Almost giving the feeling that the owners were more concerned with packing the place to maximum capacity, rather than making sure their clients were comfortable. Not condusive at all to any kind of private conversation. My wife and I asked the "hostess" if we could be seated in the back room or at one of the tables that was set for 4 people (there were about 5 of these tables available at the time). We were abruptly and without concern, told "NO". And without waiting for any kind of response from us, she dropped our menus on one of the 2-person tables and walked away. We were left with no choice but to sit or leave, and rather than leave based on the actions of one surly individual, we kept the faith and sat.

The service continued like this for the duration of the meal. All of the female employees had the biggest, snootiest, and non-caring attitudes I've ever witnessed in a service oriented settting. When not "serving" people, they huddled together by the bar, almost appearing as patrons gathering for happy hour, paying little attention to the job at hand and seeming like they did not want to be bothered. I definitely would have felt very uncomfortable breaking up the party to ask for assistance.

The atmosphere was okay. The decor was nice, and the food was average.

Even though the restaurant is less than 1 mile from our house, we decided right then that we would never return. I love Thai food and my wife and I eat out approx. 3-4 times/week, but I surely don't want to pay good money to be treated like less than a 2nd class citizen.

1  Thank Mataleao
Reviewed September 7, 2005

Ok, first the plus points. This place is obviously quite a trendy place, with many reviews praising the atmosphere etc. Yes, the atmosphere is quite good, and even on a midweek evening we found the restaurant to be about three quarters full. The service is fast, efficient but not over friendly.

Now the negative bits. If this is real Thai food, then I am Tom Cruise's double, which my wife will tell you, I am not. You don't go to a THAI restaurant for cocktails or Chinese food - you go for a Thai meal. The food might be tasty (which we didn't think was in any case), but it isn't Thai food, it is fancy dressed up food, slightly spiced, to cater for the American palate.

An example was the Tom Yung Koong, ie. Thai spiced soup with prawns. I ordered this and asked for it to be served Thai style (extra hot & spicy). The soup was not hot and I have tasted hotter Thai soups out of a tin. I could go on, but I feel I am in the minority as the restaurant seems to be quite popular on Tripadvisor.

I would urge anyone that has the faintest idea about food, ie, Europeans, that if you want a real Thai meal, give Rambutan a miss. Just go into Thai Town, find a local restauarant where Thai people are eating, and ask for any dish to be served Thai style and not "Farang" style - they will know what you mean.

For any American reading this, if you want atmosphere and a trendy place to shout extra loud like most of you seem to do, or think that hamburgers and steaks are actually part of a healthy diet, or believe in driving on the outside overtaking lane at exactly the same speed as all the traffic in the inside lanes without the slightest consideration for any other driver, whilst at the same time thinking you are a good driver - you will love it.

I still can't believe that this restauarant has been voted number one in LA on Tripadvisor, but I suppose it can be expected from a nation that actually gets excited over something as bland as funnel cake.

By the way, I am not anti USA - I love the place. Just really upset that I ruined one night out of only four we had in LA, thinking that this place was actually a Thai Restaurant. I am afraid that most of you haven't got a clue what Thai food actually is.

12  Thank LondonRover