“Awesome”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had the Portuguese breakfast and it was awesome! The service was stellar as well. I look forward to another Breakfast here soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Are you hungry? Well here is where they have BIG SERVINGS 24 hours a day and 365 days a year and even that extra day on a leap year. So this place has a bunch of history and when you walk in you can feel it. It's a total blast from the past feeling. Now they are listed under steakhouses hmmmm my advice, STICK to the breakfast food. The pancakes are fluffy, bacon has the PERFECT crisp. The cook actually knows how to make ALL eggs. Many times you asked for fried, over easy, over medium etc and it's just NOT how it's SUPPOSE to be. But here is ALWAYS perfect. The atmosphere is loud dinner type with everyone enjoying themselves.

Although I'd like to say HEY this place is excellent...the taste of food is just mediocre. The steak I can't eat without sauce, and my medium steak was a tad chewy. The potatoes are yummy after you doctor them up with some salt and pepper.

BUT EITHER WAY...you WILL walk out with a full belly and really good service. I've been several times. It's a change from the late night Denny's or Ihop.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is one of the most well-known breakfast spots in downtown Los Angeles. It's been there forever and is owned by the former mayor of Los Angeles, so everyone in town seems to have been there at one time or another.

It had been several years since my last visit, and despite the passage of years, the place looks exactly the same as always. Menu on the wall, counter seating and a flat top grill the size of the deck on the USS Nimitz.

What isn't the same is the quality of their food. Diners have the option of eggs with a wide assortment of side items; I chose the sausage patties and was disappointed. They were greasy and heavy. Long after my breakfast that day I was reminded of these sausage patties.

The lines are always long to get in, so by all means if you are in the area, give it a try, but steer away from the sausage patties!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We arrived at 9am on a Sat. Morn. The Pantry was already humming. Our party of 8 joined the line outside and waited. The line seemed to move quickly. We spent our time looking around and reminiscing about the last time we all had been to The Pantry. It had been at least 20 since I had been here. The one thing we all agreed The Pantry itself had not changed but the atmosphere in Downtown Los Angeles had changed for the better. The area has a great neighborhood vibe. People walking thier dogs and couples with stroller out for a morning stroll.
We now make it the door and it feels like we are stepping back in time. The decor inside the Pantry has changed very little. The menu is simple but a great value. The service was quick and very friendly. The food was fantastic. The pancakes were awesome.The sour dough toast was melt in your mouth delicious. Everyone in our group absolutely loved the food.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

LOVED this place. We waited outside for a bit for a table, but we hit it right at the breakfast rush. The prices were incredibly reasonable, even cheap. Service was quick, but very good, and we didn't wait long for the incredible food. Both the pancakes and french toast were incredible. My husband says they might be the best pancakes he's ever had! And, the portions are HUGE! We had a long day planned ahead of us and didn't want to have to stop to eat lunch until about 4, and we didn't need to after eating that huge breakfast. The feel of the place is excellent as well. It obviously hasn't changed much in the 60 odd years it's been there, including the fact that they only take cash. There were a few tourists there like us, but there were also a lot of locals. We will definitely go back the next time we're in LA.