“Transcendent Diner”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Always open - no lock on the front door. Massive portions - good solid diner food (sour dough French toast !!) - head's up: long lines on weekends! Great staff - cash only (?) - look for worn floor in front of cashiers' cage to see the age and popularity of this classic joint.

There are newer reviews for The Original Pantry

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Upon entering its something from days gone by. Which I like considering its downtown LA. All food is homemade and desserts are big. The best thing about this establishment is the staff is HONEST!!!! I left a valuable item behind. Never expecting to see it again. I called them and they said they had it. I picked it up the next day!!! Thank you Pantry!!!! Please go and support them before a chain restaurant makes a move.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The food is good (note that I didn't say great), but the real reason to eat here is that it's an institution. It's been here for generations. It makes no nutritional apologies for the slab of ham or giant pieces of French toast. Soak it up and taste some history! I'm an early riser, and like to take advantage of the fact that it is open 24 hours, arriving a couple hours before the line to get in stretches around the block.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

functional diner food that is delicious! Best pancakes I've had in a long while. there will likely be a line, so come prepared. Good Stuff!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stumbled across this classic diner on a walk while we were staying nearby. No preconceived hype for us, they happened to not even be that busy, but we both said "breakfast here tomorrow". Yes, it was packed. Yes, there was a line, but short for us as we were there relatively early for LA on a Saturday I suppose (8:30am). I love a diner that makes me feel like I've stepped back in time, and the Original Pantry is like no other I've been to in this regard. Cheap, decent coffee delivered to our table before we asked for it. Our waiter Jose was so pleasant and friendly, while fast and efficient, I felt like we were frequent costumers. Best French toast in a long time. Good pancakes. Perfect over medium eggs. When they say "sausage patty" they mean it... hamburger sized and delicious. Hashbrowns were super crispy on the outside. I say one of my best meals ever because for what it is, The original pantry stands alone so far in my experience. If you want a sparkly clean atmosphere, snotty service and a veggie tofu egg white omelette... I promise... you don't want to come here, and for godsake don't write a review about it if you do.