“The Best of LA!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central L.A
“The Best of LA!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

A short distance from Union Station and Olvera Street and adjoining LA's Chinatown, Philippe's is the place where everyone from the rich and famous to the working man (and everyone in between) comes to get the best sandwiches around. An LA landmark for good reason, you come in this no-frills place to stand in line and get your food and then go find a communal table with a stool to sit on... But what you get to eat!!! There are four meats to choose from - beef, pork, turkey, and lamb -with a variety of cheeses to add if you like. They also have side dishes, like a traditional macaroni salad, cole slaw or potato salad and more... I like to get a double-dipped lamb sandwich with blue cheese and some of the (very) spicy mustard along with cole slaw and an iced tea. Ain't nothing better!!! Followed by a piece of pie and you're golden! There's a reason that everyone comes here -and has for 100 years! Watch out, though before a USC or Dodgers home game -it's packed!, anyway, if you're in town, you gotta go!

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nashville, Tennessee
“A must stop in Los Angeles, very historical”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I loved the french dip. it was small, perfect snack size. I wanted "double-dipped" because i wanted so many of the juices but they didn't understand me. I even spoke in spanish to the girl and she didn't care. she just took my order and gave me the sandwich. it was just as delicious as i imagined. although "double=dipped"would have been better. maybe i should have said "wet"
It was a great snack. i would have given a five but she should have better understood my order. I was still thrilled to eat there.

• Visited April 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Yummy”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

The best sandwich ever! The best macaroni salad also. I tried the turkey sandwich and it was okay, I tried the beef dip, and that was okay…But when I tried the lamb wet after someone suggested it, I knew why Philippe is famous!!

• Visited May 2014
Finland
“Four for the food, five for history and atmosphere”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Love to go to to Philippe every time I'm visiting L.A. It's pretty amazing how this kind of institution has survived all these decades. I like everything about it - food is good, cole slaw extra tasty, very reasonably priced... but what I LOVE about the place is the feel of history and tradition.

• Visited June 2013
Walnut, California
“It may be famous, but it is not that impressive”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have been here a number of times over the years. I finally decided to write about it. The food is good, but the size of the sandwiches are so small. We've been making the same kind of dipped sandwiches at home for decades and they are bigger, tastier and cheaper. What we ordered did not even fill us for the price. The beet juice hard-boiled eggs have always been a little odd and I don't like beets so I really don't like them. All in all, the place is still okay and is good for a quick bite if you're not too picky.

• Visited June 2013