“Great experience - try french dipped sandwiches and fresh lemonade!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Philippe the Original

Philippe the Original
Ranked #4 of 9,521 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Sydney, Australia
“Great experience - try french dipped sandwiches and fresh lemonade!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This place was on our to-do list in LA and it did not disappoint! There is free parking next to the restaurant for patrons so don't pay for parking like others did.

We tried this restaurant as it was in "Man vs Food". We tried the double french dipped pork sandwich and the french dipped beef sandwich. The meat was tender and tasty and the bread was flavourful. We drank this with fresh lemonade for jus 95c! I regretted not ordering a 2nd lemonade as it was so good!

The atmosphere was the typical "US diner" style and the layout of the tables is food court like. It's not what we usually go for but this place became one of our favourites in LA!

• 3 of 5 stars

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
San Bernardino, California
“Great Place to Eat in Downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My son picked this place for a recent outing, and I am so happy he did! Hubby and I travel to the jewelry district a few times a year, and haven't found a place we like. He had been here before, but had forgotten where it was. Pro: Really good sandwiches, old diner atmosphere, large enough to find a seat even when crowded. Con: Parking can be bad, communal seating if you're shy or anti-social, side dishes/salads are just ok. This will be our go to place now, and I will definitely try more of the offerings!

• 3 of 5 stars
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“French Dipped Sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Phillipes is a Los Angeles icon for a reason. Located in the heart of Los Angeles right next to little tokyo, eating at Phillipe's will change your perception of everything that a sandwich can be. I only thought that I had eaten a french dipped sandwich before my visit.

Visited November 2012
Costa Mesa, California
“classic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

best food for the best price, the wait was a bit long but oh so worth it. I highly recommend going to Philippe when in Los Angeles.

Visited September 2012
Henderson, Nevada
“Old School Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place is an L.A. landmark and in the 35+ years I've come here, I've never been disappointed. Beef double dip with Swiss, you'll never be the same. My favorite side is the coleslaw. A must stop on my Southern California trips and before a Dodger game.