“Delicious and Fun Trip Back in Time”

Philippe the Original
Ranked #9 of 10,299 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Had to try Phillipe, and was not disappointed. The French Dip was excellent (double-dip) but I wish I would have gotten it wet. the homemade spicy mustard is excellent, and has a real kick to it. I also tried a cup of the chili and macaroni salad, both were very good. A fun place, with a old-timey feel, definitely worth the trip. The one downside (to me) is that I think the sandwich could be a little bigger. It's just at that point where one is too little but two is definitely to much.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed June 1, 2013

On a trip to LA, had to take a visit to get one of the famous dipped sandwiches and I was not dissapointed. I chose the dipped beef sandwich with swiss cheese and it was brilliant. The queuing is a bit crazy but overall the service is good for the amount of people that were in there. Plenty of space to sit down and enjoy your sandwich and also a nice glass of lemonade for only 65c. We went here before going to see a dodgers baseball game so that might be why it was busy. Still only had to wait for 15 minutes which is more than worth the wait!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I often take the train/metro in and out of LA Union Station. Just found about this lovely place. Just a short walk away, There were many choices of meat for these sandwiches. I chose the traditional beef. It was already soaked in au jus, so no dipping was needed. You walk up to the counter, place your order, drop your cash (cash only) in the little tray and wait for your sandwich. There is a light dusting of sawdust on the floor, which I am unsure why. Nostalgic sake?

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We like to find classic restaurants when we travel and this is certainly one.We found it on trip advisor. It's a couple blocks from UNion Station. The restaurant was founded in 1908 and it still looks like 1908 inside- rustic and interesting. THe people who work there are very nice. THe french dip was sooo good, I could have eaten 2. Instead we opted for the baked apples which were also delicious. A glass of ice tea is 65 cents and a cup of coffee is 45 cents! We look forward to going back the next time we are in LA.

1  Thank College-Schlepper
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have enjoyed Phillipe's famous French dipped sandwiches for lunch as well as their breakfast items and everything is delicious. The ambiance is very casual with both communal tables and booths.

Depending on the time of day, you may experience a long wait to place your order. But that's just part of the Phillipe's experience. Coffee is a very reasonable 45 cents, but they do not offer refills. Same with the soft drinks or iced tea.

There is a parking lot adjacent to Phillipe's and another lot on the other side of the street. Meter parking is also available.