“Best French dip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Philippe the Original

Philippe the Original
Ranked #6 of 9,846 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Tacoma, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best French dip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Price and atmosphere are excellent. It's the same as when I grew up in LA, like stepping back in time. The French dip sandwiches are always as expected. Staff always cheerful. Can't beat the price for the breakfasts and coffee.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Oregon Coast, Oregon
“Dining on a Name in LA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Make no mistake, Philippe's is an original eatery. The beef sandwiches are pretty good, but check out the double dipped lamb. Also the mustard is hot and delicious.

Go for the atmosphere and the lamb. People watch and enjoy being part of the scene, but there are far better dipped sandwiches and much cheaper prices than Philippe the Original.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boise, Idaho
“A family favorite for 3 generations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

The first time I ate at Phillipes I was about 8 years old and about to move from the West Coast to the East Coast. We were traveling by train and Phillipes is only 5 minutes from Union Station in downtown LA. When I finally got back there again some 40 years later I discovered a place somewhat frozen in time. They haven't tried to be trendy or hip; they figured out long ago what they do well and they keep doing it. You get there and you get in what you hope is the shortest or fastest line and while you are in line you try (in vain!) to study the menu on the wall in miniscule print. Nevermind the menu just look at the food in the case and watch the trays go by as the folks ahead of you get their food. Get a lamb dip sandwich if you like lamb cause it is the best. Their cole slaw is nice and the banana cream pie and lemon meringue pie are just like Grandma used to make. This is not a low cal lunch but enjoy! Oh and if you are driving they have free parking! After lunch you can tour Union Station or visit Olvera Street. (but do move your car!)

Edmond, Oklahoma
“Don't miss it if in L.A.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband worked at the City Hall for 32 years and would walk with his co-workers to Philippes sometimes for lunch. We have since moved out of state, but when in California, we always try to go back and have a sandwich. Tried the pork, but like the beef better. The coleslaw is delicious. It is worth the wait, if you have to stand in line, which is the usual. Get there before the crowds if possible. You know the food is fresh because they are always busy. Nothing changes over the years and that is kind of nice. You always know that it will be the same, no matter how much time between your visits.

Pasadena, CA
“more than a restaurant, it's an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Rustic to say the least. If you don't mind standing in line for your food and weaving through crowds of people from all walks of life to find a place to sit once you receive it (I for one enjoy this), you will be rewarded with unexpectedly delicious food at ridiculous prices. I always go for the lamb dip sandwich with bleu cheese, and coleslaw on the side. Always. In fact, my biggest disappointment about dining at Philippe's is that I don't go often enough to try other things. I agonize that I have never had breakfast there (I want to order a 10 cent cup of coffee!). I imagine how delicious their salads must be. I yearn for a slice of cream pie. But no. I need my lamb dip. Every time. My kids have sampled slightly more variety: custard, fruit pie, seasonal baked apple, beef, turkey, pork. And they guzzle gallons of affordable (75 cents) lemonade. Did I mention the WINE LIST? Are you kidding me? Names like Duckhorn, Saintsbury, Silver Oak. I kid you not. Last time I had a generous pour of Groth chardonnay. $9, I kid you not. If that's too rich for you, how about a Kendall Jackson reserve chard for $5? There are a number of quality beers on tap as well. And at the cashier, a selection of old-timey candy that always delights the kids. The good news: My 17 STILL wants to go there. With her parents. That's how good it is.

• 3 of 5 bubbles