“Old School LA”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a tasty joint that must be tried. It is a LA staple. Locals have no problem waiting in line for the classic roast beef.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband, daughter, and I got take out from Phillipe's on our last trip to LA. We saw the restaurant on TV a few days earlier so we decided to check it out. So thankful we did. Even though we had eaten breakfast just half an hour prior to arriving at Phillipe's, we got sandwiches to go. It wasn't too long before we dove into them as they sit in the front seat of our car... The sandwiches were quite tasty. My husband got the original beef French Dip, I got the lamb. Both were amazing! Highly recommended! On TV, there was quite a bustle of people, in real life, it was a very cal, relaxing place to visit. I'd definitely visit again!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The lamb sandwich is great. Just make sure you request it double dipped and dab on the killer hot mustard.

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This place reminded me of a hometown rib place world famous for its food & raucous crowd in a basement setting. After so many years & SO many customers, the food suffers the ills of mass production & only the scene is left. It was mid-aftn by the time I walked into Philippe's, & I was ravenous & ready to enjoy anything. The large dining room w/ communal banquet seating was genuine & cool, as was the large service counter staffed by light blue uniformed ladies who welcomed me w/ a smile. However, they not only were responsible for taking & filling your order, but also had to wait in their own cashier line to make your change-a halting but likely necessary practice. As w/ all cafeteria-style service arrangements, getting a drink refill or condiment delivered was a confusing & timely endeavor. As for the food, the traditional beef double dip was tasty, tender, & of a fair if not generous size. But my second sammy w/ mutton was tough & gristly, & more than half was deservedly left uneaten. The potato & mac salads were the average deli fare. I wouldn't rule out giving the pork sandwich a try if I'm ever in town again, but I was o/w underwhelmed by this famous eatery.

PS-house mustard should be more famous than the French dip

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This place is great, delicious food and old school atmosphere. I'm a big fan, plus you can't beat 10 cent coffee.