“Trendy and Tasty” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malo

Malo
Reserve with OpenTable
Malo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,236 of 9,847 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1/2 blk. East of Fountain Ave
Brisbane, Australia
“Trendy and Tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

This place is rather what I imagined LA to be all about.The restaurant had a trendy feel to it. The food and drink were delicious with a great range in both. The service was superior in every way. The cost was reasonable.

Visited April 2012

• Turkish first
new york
“Enjoyed the Tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I like their beef and pickle taco. I crave it actually, malo is a definite stop for me when in LA. They make tasty mojitos and deserts also.

Visited July 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Malo...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

They should really change the name of this restaurant. Came here expecting greatness and it was a big let down. Way overpriced for what it actually is. Food is kinda crummy...service was great though. Drinks were decent. I had some tequila pom blend. What is there so much hate on hipsters? Don't be mad because you're boring and go to Chili's all day every day. Anyways the food at Malo is MALO. If you want some good Mexican food in Silverlake you don't have to spend $80.00 for two people. Check out LAS GLORIAS on Silver Lake Blvd. and you will not be mad. Great food and price. $20.00 for two. I'd only come to this place on Taco Tuesday.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Austin, TX
“Great find...innovative menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

My husband and I were driving along Sunset, starving and wanted some Mexican food. We passed Malo, so I looked at the past reviews and we decided to stop in. Loved the cool decor and the fun menu. There were so many taco choices - love that. I got the ground beef and pickle taco. It sounds strange, but it was so good - sort of like a hamburger in a fried taco shell. We didn't have any drinks, but their cocktail menu looked pretty amazing. If we had more time, we would have returned to happy hour. ...

• Visited November 2011
United States
“Ok food, not ok service, wall to wall hipsters.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

My hipster friend took a group of us to this place. Why? Because maybe someone famous would be there. Sad. My friend didn't used to be like that, but 10 years in LA does something to you.(sucks out your soul, being that something) I know, I know, what does this have to do with the restaurant? Well just realize the place will be full of people like my friend.
So we tried to order. My friend being a proper hipster had to try to order some obscure tequila from their long list of obscure tequilas. I say try because the rude waitress kept saying do you mean this one, oh no you mean this one, etc. Dumb ho he means the one he says just like it says on the menu. Oh we don't have that one. Even for the rest of us ordering diet cokes and ice T's it was like she was doing us a favor. My wife commented that the waitress seemed to be tweaking on something. I think she was probably right. Thankfully another waitress started coming by our table and she was actually pretty good. Well anywhere else she would just be average but for this place she was a godsend. Still it took a long time to get those drinks and the $12 thing of chips with 5 salsas. My friend wasn't hip enough to know you were supposed to order the chewy chips. Thank god. A chip is a chip, you know, it crunches, if its soggy you throw it away. No not hipsters, they make it into a "thing." So anyway, good salsas and chips, good not great. 3 of the 5 were stupid hot, I mean chocolate habanero? Then two that were very mild. Instant karma, my hipster friend overdid it on the hot sauce, drank all his water, then had to wait and wait for a water refill and his tequila. I FEEL LIKE TYPING THE REVIEW LIKE THIS, because we had to yell to talk during our wait for our food. The place is loud and it was only half full of hipsters.
Food. I had the carnitas, split some baja shrimp tacos and had a bit of the wifes chili relleno burrito. Carnitas, ok, nothing special, a little dry. Shrimp tacos, again blehh. Wifes thing, ok but weird.
Really the food is better at Chipotle. You know that scummy looking local Mexican place that all the blue collar folks eat at? I mean anywhere in America has one of these, heck most places in the world. Anyway, the food there costs half as much and is twice as good, and you don't have a bunch of d-bags hoping some C-lister actor walks in so they can find a way to get a copy of their script to them.

• Visited September 2011