“Forget about this place”
Review of Iroha

Iroha
Ranked #496 of 10,140 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Universal City Area
Reviewed April 17, 2009

I love sushi and have for most of my life. I eat it at least (3) times per week. I've passed this place and its always crowded. I decided to give it a try. What a terrible mistake!

The lady that seated us was totally not-charming and treated us without any civility.

The sushi chef had absolutely no personality. We were just a number.

Before trying the fish I always test a sushi restaurant by sampling a California Roll with masago.. Their was so marginal that it barely was edible. It had an aweful aftertaste. I am not kidding when I tell you that I've had much better California Rolls at the Ralph's supermarket in Westwood Village.

We ordered a catapillar roll that was decent but not terriffic. I was brave (my wife had enough at this point and didn't want to risk eating any more) and had a hamachi and marguro both of which were marginal at their best. We had a cucumber sunomono that was inedible. We didn't bother ordering drinks of any kind.

This place prices their sushi at a level almost as high as a Matsuhisa or Nozawa but this restaurant is no where near the league of those two restaurants. I have no problem paying $90 per/person for a great meal at Matsuhisa but I think that $60 (for the meal that I just discribed) was a total rip off.

All I can say is that this place is for people that don't know and can't tell a good sushi place from a terrible one. I can't understand how it could possibly always be crowded??? It was aweful!

There are newer reviews for Iroha

Pasadena, California
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Excellent place for sushi in Studio City. If you can't get in to Katsuya, this is just as good.

Reviewed March 9, 2009

awesome small sushi spot. very fresh!! very very good!!! great place to take a date and chat the whole night away over sushi!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 14, 2008

very good fresh sushi with a great, cozy atmosphere. a little hidden from the street but well worth the find.

Reviewed August 5, 2008

High class sushi place. Good Sushi, but Ahi next door has better sushi.