“Never Again!”

Ranked #619 of 10,749 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Universal City Area
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I have enjoyed LaLa's many times over the years. All the more reason that I was so disappointed with my experience Friday night. Arrived about 6:15 and the noise was deafening, as the place had several families with small children. When I asked the hostess to seat my guest and me away from the children, she rolled her eyes and said you can have one of these 3 tables, all down the middle and all easily within earshot of the kids. When I pointed out several other tables in the corner, she replied these were all Reserved. Then I asked to be seated outside, again, all Reserved. We took one of the middle tables.
Our wait staff was friendly and attentive, obviously having witnessed what had transpired with the host staff. I was ready to chalk the earlier experience off to an inexperienced host person, until the food came. What a disappointment! Soggy salad, greasy calimari, and uninspired chicken. What happened to this once previous wonderful restuarant?
When I left I commented to the same host person that the table we had requested remained unfilled the entire time we were there; she simply shrugged her shoulders. Unfortunately, LaLa's has become a typical LA restaurant with overpriced food and attitude to go! What ever happened to customer service? Never again!

Horacio W, Owner at Lala's, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2015

Hi Michael, we apologize if your experience with us did not match your previous ones. We always try to seat our guests where they prefer, but sometimes we do have tables reserved and we go with what is the best available option. We really appreciate your business, especially as a repeat customer over the years and hope you can give us another chance to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have lived in Studio City for decades. I've seen the restaurants come and go, and long ago decided to stop being the canary in the coal mine with each new restaurant. I had an out-of-town guest who wanted a quick bite to eat, so I suggested SPARK's, which my guest rejected, only because we've eaten there several times. "Don't you have any other places in the neighborhood to eat that are decent?" I figured that, since LALA's has been open for a couple of years now and is often crowded, maybe it will be OK. I just don't get it. I ordered as simply as possible. What can you do to ruin a filet mignon? Don't sear it, so that what is presented is a mushy steak. I could barely stand to look at it, much less eat it. Plus, they cut it into several pieces. Is this an old folks home? I can cut my own food. I was offered a salad, so was surprised when the entre arrived, and assumed they serve Eurpoean style (salad after the main course, which I actually prefer). Nope. Mushy meat, salad, and vegetable all on the same plate, so hot and cold apparantly don't matter. The chimichurri is overly garlicky. Oh, how I long for the chimichurri at the now-shuttered Gaucho Grill. The bread seems to have been made without yeast. Alas, I ordered the "four small empanada" appetizer. The size and portion were fine, but the only ones I could identify were the cheese and spinach ones. The others were mystery meat. I ate them and couldn't tell what they were. UGH. It is not lost on me that the place is popular and the reviews are consistently pretty good. So, what's the problem? I'm a food snob? Not really. I honestly think most people are happy to be eating out in the company of friends and loved ones, and don't really much care about the food. I really believe that to be true. Ditto everyone else's comments about the friendly wait staff. They are, indeed, very nice. I will not return because the food is just below par as far as I am concerned. For about the same price, you can get a decent meal at SPARK's a few doors east.

Horacio W, Owner at Lala's, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2015

Hi there, we are sorry to hear you did not enjoy the food. Cutting the steak into smaller pieces is a typical part of Argentinian asado culture. However, we do appreciate your business and hope you can reconsider and give us another try in the future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very good food. Beautiful decor. Friendly staff. Walked right in. I'd definitely go back. Reasonably priced.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Recently ate here for lunch and had no regrets. Seating was prompt, service was friendly, and the food - oh, the food!

Before you can even order, Lala's provides the most delicious [complimentary] chimichurri and bread imaginable. While it may be tempting to have exclusivley chimichurri and bread, I'd highly recommend the main dishes. I've tried the dijon chicken and would very highly recommend it. Perfectly tender with delicious and unique flavors, you can't find this dish any place else. Oh, and definitely get the mashed potatoes.

I've been to both the Studio City and North Hollywood locations and found the atmosphere/decor in North Hollywood to be superior. The Studio City location seemed more like a lunch place whereas I took a date to North Hollywood and the atmosphere fit well. I'm not a good judge of authenticity but the prices at Lala's are all very reasonable, ranging from inexpensive chicken dishes to more pricey steak and seafood. Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I had the house special milinase was amazing the chorizo app was awesome too. Great food great service and couldn't finish my plate. Highly recommend