“Best sushi in the San Fernando Valley, BAR NONE!”
Review of Asanebo

Asanebo
Ranked #412 of 10,305 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Universal City Area
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Can't believe this place took over my fav place, surgar fish, not too far from this location. I usually HATE ordering omakase or chef's special or what have you. It always ends up with a bad taste in my mouth and regret, even in places like Sushi Nobu in Beverly Hills or Matsuhisa or Spagos!

After ordering it, I began to cringe and started to regret my choice...until heaven started flowing...
It started with clam miso soup, which is just to die for. It's always the little things and little details that give an exclamation to the overall view of the restaurant, and they hit it dead on with that big start in what is usually a common overlooked starter.
The rows of sushi that came afterward was simply bliss. LOVE LOVE LOVED the toro, uni, ikura, and hamachi!!!
I was VERY sad when I had my last bite and it all came to an end...
The sushi rice was dead on, as I'm on board with most who agree that sushi rice make 50% of the quality of the sushi.

On the seaweed paper, however, I still think Sugar fish has the most unique, dead on seaweed paper. Go try one of their handrolls, and you will be amazed.

The service was very good and the ambiance was on par as well.

Food = A+
Service = A
Ambiance = B+ (decent enough to have a special occasion)
Overall value = B+

It's a bit pricey, $80 for 15 pc omakse, but you don't walk out regretting any bit of it.

I've found a new place to call my FAV in the valley....thanks!

1  Thank John K

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I just wanted to say real quick that I'm generally quite the food junkie so I go out lots. I do try to watch how and what I eat considering I'm also a fitness junkie. But if there's one thing I can't say no to, its sushi. Just about any time of the day. And I've got to say that this place blew my mind. Beyond my expectations. Happiest day ever. Will come back. Soon. With friends.

1  Thank Brion D
Reviewed August 4, 2012

All white fish and seafood dishes utterly wonderful. Delicious puddings and a great sake list too. A great find - especially as, like many great Japanese restaurants, it has an unprepossessing exterior.

1  Thank RoryS65
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Asanebo is one of those rare finds one falls in love with. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and provide explanations as needed. The sushi is out of this world. If I lived Los Angeles I'd be an Asanebo regular.

1  Thank Roberto G
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We went here on a whim after a day of driving around. We waited outside on the benches for about 30 mins, and were then sat at the sushi bar. What a treat. The daily specials (fish I had never heard of) were delectable. The staff is eager to give recommendations "Do you like yellow tail? Then I would recommend..." Sitting at the bar we were able to order whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted it. Had we been smarter we would have done the OMAKASE (chef's tasting menu). You can bring your own bottle of wine or order Sake and Beer from them.

Valet Parking