“Deliciously especial”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Universal City Area
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Asanebo is one of those rare finds one falls in love with. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and provide explanations as needed. The sushi is out of this world. If I lived Los Angeles I'd be an Asanebo regular.

1  Thank Roberto G

Reviewed May 15, 2012

We went here on a whim after a day of driving around. We waited outside on the benches for about 30 mins, and were then sat at the sushi bar. What a treat. The daily specials (fish I had never heard of) were delectable. The staff is eager to give recommendations "Do you like yellow tail? Then I would recommend..." Sitting at the bar we were able to order whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted it. Had we been smarter we would have done the OMAKASE (chef's tasting menu). You can bring your own bottle of wine or order Sake and Beer from them.

Valet Parking
Great Location

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I came here after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp and I was really happy that I came. I called 3 hours before arriving at the restaurant on a Sunday evening and was able to get a seat. It is located in a small shopping area with about 15 parking spaces. I street-parked about 2 blocks away and walked to the restaurant.

Upon arrival, the staff was really friendly and asked me what type of food that I like/dislike. I told them that I love truffle, and the person who was helping me smiled. I knew I came to the right place at that moment!

I was sitting at the bar and my sushi chef was Mark. He is very friendly and great to talk to. I ordered the chef special and he made some amazing dishes for me. There were 8 courses included in my chef special meal and about a half of them came out from the kitchen, whereas the other half was made right in front of my by Mark. Of all the dishes that I had, my favorite was the Halibut sashimi with shaved black truffle on it. If I could pick what my last meal is, this dish would be it! It was amazing! All of the dishes were really delicious but that Halibut sashimi was just unbelievably good. It's amazing the amount of shaved truffle that they put on the sashimi.

I liked all the dishes that I had except for the dessert, which was black truffle icecream. It has great truffle flavor but because of all the chopped truffle pieces in the ice cream, the texture was very grainy and kind of killed it for me.

I love the amazing dining experience that I had in this restaurant and I will definitely be returning again next time I travel to LA.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is a great place! We always get the Omakase (the middle priced) and it is sooooo good! It is a small place, most of the time busy, but the service is very good. After a couple of visits, they remember your preferences- nice touch.

1  Thank freemaee
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Best sushi this side of heaven, or Japan. My wife & I have been eating sushi for decades all over the world. And this small strip mall eatery is one of the best. Each piece is extremely fresh & takes time to cut, correctly I might add. The added garnishes are small, which enhance the flavors of the particular fish.. And that’s what we look for in great sushi…tasting the fish. The service was also amazing. This is true authentic Japanese sushi with many imported from Japan. Do not go here if you’re into California or Dragon Rolls. You also won’t find spicy tuna (which is how a lot of places use up their old Tuna because you can’t tell the freshness with all the spices). Also you won’t find any fish drenched in sauces (another way to “cover up” old fish). This is simple the freshest fish & best sushi ever. Yes the portions are somewhat small, & it is more expensive than most… but hey, I’m worth it… are you?...

1  Thank Moe8-99