“Its "okay"”

Cross street: Figueroa Bl
Los Angeles, California
“Its "okay"”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Describe this place? "Its okay." No bells and whistles, no wow factor--I expected a lot more. But its an overpriced "of Beverly Hills" place that doesn't truly deliver.

Service 5* - The waiter we had was exceptional, quick to refill drinks, was attentive to our needs, was nice and courteous.

Food 2* - It is what it is. I got a 1/2 pear caramelized onion brie sandwich on walnut raisin bread with soup of the day (potato bacon soup). The sandwich was, meh. I'd rather have had a mozzarella tomato sandwich over whatever squish that sandwich was, but this was the only vegetarian option they really had for sandwiches (except a lobster sandwich, and I'm not a full vegetarian I've just been avoiding meat). The soup had no potato chunks in it. It was a pureed little cup of... bacon, potato, soup. It was disgusting. I didn't even WANT to finish it. It's like they screwed up the soup and decided to just blend it together so no one would notice that it was just a soup.. blended together.

They give you cornbread while you wait for your food. It was not hot. It wasn't bad, however--it had the smell of boxed cupcakes. I have no idea what that "smell" was--vanilla?. But its the same scent/taste you get when you buy a box of Pillsbury yellow cake mix and make cupcakes. Only--mixed in with corn flour to make it cornbread-like, but not your usual cornbread.

We also got the pretzel appetizer. Best thing I had! Super hot and fresh and moist out of the oven. I only wished they had gooey cheese to dip it in (it came with whole grain mustard and honey)--but delicious!

BF had the bacon cheeseburger, it was humongous. He loved it and the shoestring fries it came with. Still not worth the almost $15 price tag. And a cup of passion tea with refills? $3.50. I guess its the price of the "of Beverly Hills" added to their name.

Overall 3* - Yes, this is the Staples Center, but I expect a little bit more bang. Or at least, better food.

• Visited April 2013

Illinois
“Great food and wine”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

A large group of us met here for dinner during a conference. While the menu is limited, all seemed happy with their meals. I had the black and white sesame crusted salmon which was terrific.

Visited April 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Close to the JW but cheaper. We ate breakfast there each day that we didn't have Conference food. Food good Service good.

Visited April 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
“Good food.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

had lunch with a colleague. Lobster club sandwich and lobster salad were both very good, came in large portions. The service was good.Great place when you are looking a place close to the convention center.

• Visited April 2013
Culver City, California
“Good place to meet people before a game!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I think the location at L.A. Live (downtown Los Angeles) and the successful effort to offer really good food is a great mix. I'd go again.

Visited February 2013