“Landmark Mexican Restaurant”

Neighborhood: Central L.A
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Landmark Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Good Mex food, Ok drinks, fair prices. Interior is pretty dated, but I guess its part of the places charm. Food was a bit off a few years ago, but they seemed to have made a comeback.

Visited September 2013

Modesto
“Love this place!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My family and I have been coming to El Coyote for more than forty years. In its early days, the food wasn't very good, and didn't have a great reputation. It was convenient, though, and good enough for when my mom didn't want to cook. Now, years later, the food is very good, most of the time. The menu consists of usual Mexican fare -- tacos, enchiladas, burritos -- everything you would expect from a Mexican restaurant. I especially love the egg omelet, stuffed with cheese. It is fabulous! Comes with the house salad and tortillas. I don't think it's on the menu anymore, but they'll make it if you ask. The tostadas are good, too. I switch from one to another when I go. My husband loves Enchilada Howard. The chips are good, as is the guacamole and hot sauce. BUT, don't forget the margaritas! They are absolutely the best! Even if you don't want to eat dinner, visit the bar area, and enjoy the chips and margaritas! Service is usually good, and most servers are friendly enough. They are all dressed up in Mexican attire. The ladies wear long, colorful, fancy dresses, and the gentlemen wear their own outfit. El Coyote has patio seating, which is totally enclosed from the street, if you want fresh air. This is an old, established restaurant, and I think you should try it!

• Visited January 2013
Jackson, Mi
“Friendly Place, nice service”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

First time here. The place is cute inside and busy. It seemed like the servers knew most the customers by name and treated them like family. There were hugs and smiles for most. The menu is limited with the main entrees you would expect. Tacos, enchiladas, and tamales. The food was fine. You pay for a side of sour cream and really no greens. Was served warm but not hot however the plate was hot. I wouldn't recommend sitting in the booth as you walk in to the right. Everyone uses you as a lean to and the servers and the people waiting put their hands over your seat into your space.....
It was a fine place.

Visited September 2013
Wharton, New Jersey
“What a great place!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Super friendly staff, great food , and possibly the best Margarita (or two) I have ever had in my life.I liked how at El Coyote they offer more than just the standard one sided menu of Mexican fare. I dont understand where the reviews of the food being so-so come from.I have eaten in a lot of Mexican restaurants and the food here is by far better than most. The prices are reasonable and the portions are great. Every time I go to LA I will eat at El Coyote.

• Visited August 2013
Bristol, pennsylvania
“Inexpensive and awesome cheesy atmosphere”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Love.. love.. love El Coyote. It served me well when i first moved to L.A. and was flat broke. The food is good. Not the best Mexican food I've ever eaten but pretty decent and the portion sizes are huge. The decor is super Mexican/Spanish cheesy-goodness. You feel like you're in a velvet painting. This was my husbands first time in L.A. and I made it a point to take him there for a late dinner. He loved it! The patrons are an eclectic mix, perfect for discretely people watching. You will have a great time and you will be full when you leave.

• Visited July 2013