“sofi”

Cross street: Fairfax
Los Angeles, California
“sofi”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We sat on the patio and that was our first mistake as the tables were dirty. The chairs were filthy and there was bird waste caked on the table and the surroundings. Overall, the food was poorly prepared and foreign material, not food, were found in our meal. The plates and silverware were not completely clean either. A kitchen assistant was observed leaving the bathroom stall after being inside for quite some time, and she failed to wash her hands. In addition, the restaurant is very highly priced and the cost does not meet the value.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank 1Palladiumartist

los angeles
“Nice setting and staff. Terrible food.”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We used to come here all the time, years ago. We were excited to come back with a Bloomspot deal. Our order: saganaki - very greasy and salty, taramosalata - very salty, pastitio - dry, youvetsi - we both wanted this, but thankfully, one of us didn't order it. Usually with a braised lamb shank, you only need a fork, since the meat falls off the bone. I had to use a knife, and even then couldn't completely cut into the rubbery meat. I don't know how this can happen, but the dish definitely did not look freshly made. I wonder how long it sat in the freezer. We agreed that the best thing served to us was the pita bread, which is not saying much. The staff is friendly thus 2 stars instead of 1. The setting is pretty, especially if you like to dine outdoors. If not for the constant traffic noises, you could almost pretend you're in Santorini. We wanted so much to like this place, sadly, we were completely disappointed.

• Visited July 2012
Los Angeles
“What were we thinking?”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

A Groupon offer reminded us of this place, which we had not visited for a long time. The courtyard was lovely, the restaurant quaint, the food was simply awful, overcooked, mushy vegetables, sea basss that was actually tough, it had been cooked for so long, stale dolmas.

Service was strange. Our waitress must have sensed our disappointment, and the more anxious she became, the more familiar - soon she was patting our arms and shoulders and asking if we wanted to try something else.

To add insult to injury, had we not been using a coupon, this disaster of a meal would have cost over $90 for two people. No matter how long they remain open, we won't be back.

• Visited May 2012
Cape Cod, MA
“GREAT FOOD, SERVICE & GREEK DANCING (WITH BROKEN PLATES)”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I went with my partner to Sofi's Greek restaurant, having been completely seduced by its website, which is wonderful! When we arrived in LA at our hotel, I admit, we walked to Sofi's because the owner told us, by phone, that it was hard to find. We walked up to the closed wooden door and espied the abundant bougainvillea draped over the trees inside. We were intrigued. We arrived at the appointed time for dinner and were joined by three business colleagues in LA from Cape Cod (where we're from) there for a trade show. They were equally enchanted. We all received a warm welcome, spoke at some length with Marine, the owner, who told us the history of Sofi's, which has been there for 36 years. We started with a Mythos beer, which hearkened us back to the Greek islands. Shortly after our drinks arrived, a musician playing the bouzouki sauntered to our table. It was enchanting and he serenaded our table throughout the evening. We had the kefalotyri cheese flamed with metaxa cognac (saganaki). Octopus ordered for the table was perfectly cooked, as were the crispy smelts (marides). Next we had the avgolemono soup, which was not to hot as I like, but great flavor and clearly made to order with big chunks of white meat chicken. My Greek salad was tremendous and delicious, perfectly dressed ... I was transported to Milos! I had the Beefteki, ground beef stuffed with feta which was quite good. My partner had the lamb chops and I could hardly get him to let me try one, they were absolutely sublime. Our companions ordered souvlaki which they pronounced delicious. During dinner, more serenades and singing; very authentic. After we all finished every bite of our dinners, the owner insisted we try the baklava, which was superb, as was the bougatsa (vanilla cream with thick filo pastry. The owner could not have been more attentive that everything was to our liking. My Greek coffee was delicious, strong yet not bitter. Afterwards, Marine (owner) cleared the floor and everyone was invited to learn traditional Greek dancing. The musicians played Greek music, but the tempo kept quickening until I had to drop out, but my companions all were quick learners and collapsed into hysterics. What fun. No one was embarrassed and the other patrons hardly noticed ... they were probably thinking "This must be their first time here." It was a lovely evening, not to be forgotten, filled with excellent Greek food and hospitality in an enchanting setting. Always ask for a PATIO table ... Sofi's is completely enchanting!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank wpdesousa-mauk
L.A.
“Overcooked Greek Food”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Restaurant has been around for a long time and should know how to prepare Branzino (white fish) without overcooking it. Also the vegetables were mushy. Too bad they can't get their food prep right as the ambiance of this place (lovely courtyard) is just right for a warm Spring/Summer evening out. Also they need to tone down the music as it interfered with conversation.