“LA Fitness meets Wholefoods”
Review of Axe - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: Brooks and Broadway
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've been back to this hip, Thirty-somethings local eatery three times in as many months. I love the atmosphere. The staff are equally hip and friendly and more than just good looks, they know their business. Ask for a certain type of wine and you'll get a knowledgeable recommendation.

One thing bugs me about this trendy Venice eatery. Sure, it's really hip. I love the simple but warm decor. You'd have to go to Berlin or Stockholm to find anything remotely as simple but elegant as Axe. Wonderful, Gardner dining area. Love the lighting. I've never been for a romantic evening but Axe would tick the box. Bu I keep going back hoping the food will wow me. But I could name a 100 restaurants where my senses have felt indulged. To be fair, I think Axe has a highly inventive and exotic menu. I like Moroccan-esque cuisine and vegetable soups that border on stews. Brilliant but here (at Axe) it's bland. I'll keep coming back because the atmosphere is really buzzy. But I always feel like the eyes are being entertained with wonderful looking (and sounding) dishes but the taste buds are rarely satisfied. It's like health food that's good or you but somehow has to be bland. That said, the one thing I will say is amazing, is their deserts. Amazing deserts. And like the coffee in bowls.

There are newer reviews for Axe

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I came here on a saturday afternoon with 5 friends and was not impressed. The hostess was not friendly and the service was very slow. The restaurant was busy but not packed. We were seated out back in the dirt on a large picnic table surrounded by lots of foliage and multiple chimineas. If you are into nature and a picnic style atmosphere then you will love eating in their outside back area. The inside dining experience is more modern and noisy. We all shared the large pancake as an appetizer which was good. For my main dish, I had the basic bowl with sausage and chicken added. The meal was just ok.

All in all AXE is an environmentally conscious restaurant with the food being organic and the environment being either loud inside or serene outside. My rating is based on the price point, overall dining experience, quality of food and friendliness of staff. I probably would not come back here again.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have had many meals at AXE. I continually bring euro-based visiting artists. No one is ever disappointed. The food is fantastic, delicious and fresh. The environment is serene and conducive to a nice long conversation. The staff is always friendly. I think at times, it can be intimidating because there are so many people who are so beautiful, healthy and happy. Beauty and health may be relative but I can say, without hesitation that I always walk into AXE happy and leave happy...e v e r y t i m e ! ! ! !

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stylish, quiet modern asthetic frequented by cool upscale local clientele belies its location just blocks behind the tacky, raucous Venice Beach. Healthy eating in a modern setting worth remembering. Backyard garden reminiscent of a Mediterranean location. Particularly pleasing for couples. The grain pancake is not to be missed at beakfast. The lentil and sausage soup--fragrant, delicious and satisfying. The pasta carbonera--remarkable.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Axe is a "cool" place in restaurant row on Abbot Kinney Boulevard. It's unbelievably noisy. The walls and floor are bare so there's no sound absorption so it's hard to hear what people are saying. The chairs are small benches so there's no back support. The service is prompt - too prompt. Our appetizer was brought out within a few minutes, followed 5 minutes later with our dinner side orders. 15 minutes later our meals arrived so the sides were cold. They don't use much meat - the lamb and rabbit entrees have a lot of filler but no more than 2 - 3 ounces of meat. The prices are reasonable for this area but the value just isn't there. Disappointing, as most restaurants in this area are good. We won't return.