“Excellent place for dinner in Venice”
Review of James Beach

James Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
James Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 10,690 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: Pacific Avenue
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had an early dinner at James Beach last night and it was excellent. I made reservations for 6:00 p.m. via OpenTable about 1 week ago. They called us around 5:00 p.m. to confirm our reservations. We showed up a few minutea fter 6:00 p.m. (it took a little bit longer than expected to walk there from our hotel) and they sat s immediately. The server came to our table right away and took our drink orders. After we had our drinks, we ordered appetizers.
My 14 year old tried the oysters and loved them. My 11 year old ordered the Mac and cheese as an "appetizer" He could not finish it so my husband I helped him a bit. It was the best Mac and cheese I've ever had. My husband had the ceviche and I had the tuna tartar. All, very good. He had the New York Steak for dinner and he said it was perfect. I ended up sharing the Mahi Mahi fish tacos with him. And my husband had the sea bass. All very good. We told our server that we needed to be done and walking out by 7:45 at the latest and she did an excellent job of not rushing the meal. We had a casual, relaxing meal and we were able to get to where we needed to be right on time.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

JAMES BEACH is just OK..the patio is nice for a beach day brunch but the food is mediocre

1  Thank janieB1123
Reviewed February 4, 2013

It was a dreary Sunday night but we were warmly welcomed by name with our reservation.We both started with the red and yellow beet salad with goat cheese - beautifully presented on a bed of wonderfully bitter arugula (rocket for the Brits). They are known for their Fish Tacos and my partner was directed towards the Gulf shrimp in corn tortillas and was delighted with her Entree and I opted for the sea bass and was equally delighted. Paired with Duckhorn's Goldeneye Pinot Noir from the deep, well-constructed and well-priced wine list.
A special mention for Patrick (PJ) our server, extremely knowledgeable and professional, he knew what and when to share his information and when to leave us alone. His assistance truly enhanced our dining experience.
With this level of fhe food, wine and service, they deserve to be packed every night

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I went to James Beach on a sunny Sunday afternoon around 1 PM. We were sat promptly at an outdoor patio table. The ambiance is beachy, but clean. We were greeted by our server and we ordered a pitcher of the red sangria. Delicious! Instead of regular bread, we received orange raisin scones with rasberry jam dip. So good. We both ordered the mahi mahi fish tacos and after about 10-15 minutes, they were brought out. They were awesome! It's kind of a create your own with tortillas, black refried beans, pico di gallo, gucamole, and salsa verde. Loved it. Orlando Bloom even showed up with his dog! It was close to $100 for lunch including tip, but it was worth it. Overall, an awesome experience that I highly recommend.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Used to frequent this place about 8-10 years ago when it was all the rage in Venice, came back for a visit and well...it's STILL GOIN'! It was packed on a Thursday night, but we sat right down in the restaurant area, the service was GREAT...got served with cocktails and order taken within a few minutes. The menu is great too...lots of variety, including good eats for vegetarians. ;) I ordered the tofu tacos ...YUMMY! The price is reasonable too, I suppose, for the great location.

After dinner, we went to the bar area next to it, and WOW it was happenin'! Very busy, very fun. Great for socializing and meeting new people. A+ for our night...stayed 'til closing time! :D