“Great food, hip surroundings, wine friendly, great service and value”
Review of Joe's Restaurant - CLOSED

Joe's Restaurant
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: Santa Monica 2 at Westminster/Abbot Kinney MTA 33/333 two blocks away at Brooks and Main/Abbot Kinney and Main Santa Monica 1 two blocks away at Brooks and Main/Abbot Kinney and Main
Description: Abbot Kinney's Original Fine Dining Experience where Farmer's Market Driven Ingredients Meet a California-French Cuisine in a Comfortable Neighborhood Atmosphere in Venice Beach
Gainesville, Florida
“Great food, hip surroundings, wine friendly, great service and value”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Joe's is a favorite rendezvous destination for my wife, myself and one of my restaurant-addicted foodie/wine loving friends. Over the past 5 years, we have had a series of impeccable multi-course meals. Passing through SoCal in 12/2009, I arranged for a multi-course dinner to accompany a gathering of ten friends. The dinner was planned via email with the help of Nate, the event coordinator for Joe's.

In short, the evening met expectations and was outstanding. We enjoyed three main courses, plus dessert. We had a Spanish sparkler from their extensive wine list with the first course. I carried in a Jeroboam of an older Bordeaux and a magnum of an older Cabernet which our waiter decanted for the 2nd and 3rd course. My foodie friend brought in a couple of red wines, which we also uncorked and enjoyed.

As has been our consistent experience, the food, service and evening were great. Our waiter timed our dishes well and was attentive without being obtrusive. Our cost per person was a little high, but reflects the fact that we had a five-course meal.

On a typical dinner with our foodie friend, each of us bring up 2-3 bottles of our best wines and share 4-6 courses.

Joe's remains our go-to restaurant for an upscale reasonable priced dinner in a wine-friendly hip setting.

Tempe, Arizona
“Cute Diner with Great Food Made with Love”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband and I went to Joe's for breakfast on a Sunday. The waitstaff was excellent and even gave us tourist tips - like go to the farmer's market (which was awesome!). I had the Superb Bird (Turkey) sandwich and my hubby had the Eggs Florentine. Both were scrumptious!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good place to bring the...”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Good place to bring the family.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Palm Springs, CA
“Not for vegetarians”
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We were invited here for dinner. As a vegetarian, the only option I found that looked good was a mushroom ravioli. I ordered that. The waiter asked me, "Is that all?" I said, yes, that will fill me up. He said that it comes as an appetizer size or an entree size. I said that I want it as my entree. He replied, "Well now that we've got THAT figured out!" He spoke to me in such a snotty way that it really turned me off. Like I was confusing him purposely somehow. He was far from gracious. I honestly don't remember ever having any waiter copping such an attitude with me. On the way back to our hotel, my husband and I talked about the way he spoke to me and how he could have expressed himself more professionally. He really surprised us.

The ravioli was over cooked and the flavor was just OK. The woman who had invited us asked how it was and I said it was just OK. She insisted that I return it. I said no because the food was fine but it was just not very tasty and not served al dente. Some man (out of uniform-the manager?) came by and our hostess told him that I didn't like it. They both convinced me to try something else. I told him I was a vegetarian and he asked if I'd like some grilled veggies (not on the menu). I said, Yes! that it sounded GREAT. He brought them to me right away and they were really good and tasty. He was very nice to do that for me.

My husband thought his food was OK. No complaints, no raves. It was very noisy on the Saturday night we were there. At times it was kind of hard to hear our host sitting on the other side of the table. It's expensive. L.A. has so many wonderful restaurants. I'm surprised that this one is rated so highly on TA. I know that we won't be back.

Los Angeles, California
“One of the few places that manages to be both hip and elegant (and with great food to match!)”
Reviewed September 1, 2009