“Agree that it's good but nothing special”
Review of Joe's Restaurant - CLOSED

Joe's Restaurant
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: Santa Monica 2 at Westminster/Abbot Kinney MTA 33/333 two blocks away at Brooks and Main/Abbot Kinney and Main Santa Monica 1 two blocks away at Brooks and Main/Abbot Kinney and Main
Description: Abbot Kinney's Original Fine Dining Experience where Farmer's Market Driven Ingredients Meet a California-French Cuisine in a Comfortable Neighborhood Atmosphere in Venice Beach
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had head rave reviews about Sunday brunch and were sorely disappointed. Perhaps it is because we did not take advantage of the very inexpensive ($10 I think) bottomless mimosas. (which probably would have been an highlight). All our meals were good...nothing spectacular or great, but just average. We got the crab hash, pancakes, breakfast burrito, and one other egg dish. Pretty simple fare...pretty bare bones. Service was good. We were seated in the patio area, which has terrible acoustics and everyone was yelling to hear each other. None of could barely even hear ourselves think, which made it difficult to converse.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Once upon a time, Joe opened his Venice restaurant to rave reviews. That was 25 years ago. It is still very good, but no longer fantastic. Hey, who is still fantastic after 25 years? Not me, that's for sure.
I enjoyed a prefix Thanksgiving dinner here. The price was competitive with other fine dining restaurants in the area. I look forward to enjoying more meals here. .

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I really loved this restaurant. Located in a cool street in Venice, the restaurant offers tasty cocktails and a fancy menu, with delicious dishes. Service is superb

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My son, my wife and I had dinner here. The grilled octopus appetizer had some good flavor, but was too chewy - I've had a much better execution of this dish at other restaurants. My wife had the black grouper; my son monkfisk; and I had the mushroom ravioli. I wasn't expecting such an overwhelming mushroom flavor, so I was only able to eat half the dish. This might be okay for some, but not for me. My wife liked the black grouper, but I wasn't impressed. The best was probably my son's monkfish. Well executed and great flavors. Entree prices were in the high 20's.

1  Thank Donhu
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Arrived a bit early for an 11:15am reservation. Seated relatively quickly (the waiting area at the bar could be a bit larger and they could definitely use additional staff to seat folks more quickly) but all in all it wasn't a huge letdown.
Food was superb, the menu is eclectic (as is the neighborhood!) but seems there was something that would appeal to all tastes.

Waitstaff was relaxed but still very professional. Not too clingy, giving me time and space to discuss business, but not too shy to appear when needed.

I have no idea if the price was high or not. This is a very upscale area, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a great value, but to my midwest tastes, this was expensive for brunch. But the food made it a reasonable value, and the service was top notch.

We sat in an open air area, and the place filled up quickly on a Sunday midday. I'd strongly suggest reservations because it was just opening when we arrived (with reservations) and was packed by the time we left.
Dining area was a bit noisy (it was full) but not so bad that you couldn't hear your companions.
In summary, great food, many choices, super service, eclectic neighborhood, clientele and menu.

1  Thank Gordon G