“point/counterpoint”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Phillip's is pretty good, but you need to check out JNJ BBQ on Adams near Fairfax. Now, to my taste, they have the best I've tried in L.A.

1  Thank Bigmista

Reviewed October 13, 2013

While this is a take out only restaurant, it has been the Best Bar-B-Que in all of Los Angeles for a long, long time. I have been going to this restaurant for Bar-B-Que for at least 40 years and it has remained excellent for taste, quality and service for this entire time. A family-owned restaurant, Phillips pork ribs, sliced beef and beef sausage are all excellent, and so are their baked beans. In recent years, they have added beef ribs, pork sausages, and a variety of different sides. Their sauce is very tasty, but I caution you not to order the sauce "hot," I order my bar-b-que here with a "mixed" sauce. They also have bar-b-que chicken on their menu and they have a couple more locations (Crenshaw and Adams and Centinela near La Cienega). I highly recommend Phillips Bar-B-Que because their quality has NOT dropped off over the 40+ years I have been a customer. The lines can be long, particularly on a Saturday night, but it is well worth the wait. It is the Best BBQ in Los Angeles!!!!

1  Thank cgmeigs
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I went out of my way to get down on the shredded pork and it did not disappoint! Whilst I was there I couldn't go past a pecan pie on the helpful counter staff's recommendation and I am so glad I did.

The food is well priced and super fast, a great pit stop spot!

2  Thank RoundtheworldfromQLD
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

This place has the best ribs and sauce to die for. Very nice people who work here. Walk up order and in a few minutes you have great bbq tender and yummie!! Oh!! Try their cakes they are soooo good.

2  Thank Prettiboy
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Phillips is located in Leimert Park, Los Angeles. It's a hole-in-the-wall, but it has really good ribs! I've been coming here for years, there's always a line, but it does move. The wait is well worth it, because the ribs are truly juicy and delicious! I like coming here when I'm in the mood for soul food...they also have sides, like mac 'n' cheese, collard greens, corn, etc. When in the mood for some good ol' BBQ, I recommend stopping by here. Note: it's a take-out joint, so no seating is available.

2  Thank GermaicanSpiceGirl