“Authentic Chinese food”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: South San Fernando Valley
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The pictures on the wall let us know that Yang Chow has hosted many celebrities. The families eating in the restaurant told us that it is appreciated by Orientals. We were greeted at the table with pickled cabbage, a bit like cole slaw, but not chopped. We had lightly fried scallops with lemon-butter and mu shi pork with a very good hoisin sauce. It had a rich texture and flavor.

The service was polite and attentive. The decor was typical of Chinese restaurants in that there were Chinese paintings but the painting were not typical; they were very original and imaginative. Overall, the dining experience was very enjoyable.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The food overall was above average but not great, and it was not cheap. But the slippery shrimp are legendary and worth going for.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Tried this place on a recommendation. Brought in a group of 25 people making reservations days ahead of time. When we arrived, person at the counter seemed overwhelmed. As a matter of fact, she asked me to take the orders from our group and give them to her! At the end she said to me "don't forget to include your tip." Being nice people we did, but not our customary 18 to 20 percent. My tip to them, have a better attitude when you are making over 400 dollars from a group. I guess I was lucky I did not have to cook the food, too. Slippery shrimp was ok, but most everything else was fair. The rice is extra and not worth the 50 cents. Pick Up Stix would have been a better choice.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Yang Chow in Los Angeles' China Town used to be our favorite chinese restaurant. Their slippery shrimp signature dish was the best. The waiters and hostess were not friendly and sometimes they were downright rude, however, this was overlooked because of the terrific food.

Well we tried the Yang Chow on Topanga Caynon Blvd recently and were very disappointed in the quality of the food. In fact the slippery shrimp dish changed significantly and not for the better. The sauce is sweetened and the shrimp was not crisp but rather mushy as were the egg roles.

There is an upside as the hostess & waiters were very friendly and repeatedly asking if everything was alright. I wanted to voice my dissatisfaction/disappointment since they asked but my wife convinced me it would be unpleasant and not really make a difference.

On the way out we paused to review the gallery of awards, news articles, celebrity photos and Michelin recommendations. On closer inspection, most of these were dated some back in the 80's. Needless to say we have to find another favorite chinese restaurant!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

First, the good... Pleasant atmosphere, pleasant service, average prices. Now the bad...This was our second time at this restaurant. My father-in-law and I both love Chinese food and we tried Yang Chow a few years ago but were disappointed and didn't return until last month to check it out again. We won't be back. The "crispy duck" would have been jerky if it was any drier, and the skin was not crispy, though it was salty enough to sand wood. The mushu pork was average but the wrappers were dry. The rest of the meal was average. You can find food like this anywhere. Not worth driving past another Chinese restaurant to get to this one.