“Fresh and fast”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Westside
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is my go to salad joint. For $10, you can get a california chicken salad with fresh greens, pasta, pita chips, chicken, broccoli, carrots, tomato, avocado, and cheese. DELISH. My fav is the balsamic vinaigrette, but my second fav is the low cal ranch. This place get kind of packed so expect a wait.

There are newer reviews for California Chicken Cafe

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I love their 411 Salads. You choose your own items to add to your salad. The chicken is flavorful but small. If it is crowded the chicken may not be well done. I love their sides.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is not your standard fast food. Everything is made to order. The wraps and salads are delicious. Seating can be a bit tough, but it always seems to clear out when your food is ready. Very clean. We always grab lunch here when we are in LA.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've had the Chinese chicken salad and rotisserie chicken here. Both dishes are very good. The food is healthy and inexpensive. Good place to sit in or take out. There is always a constant flow of people at this place.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

At about 12:40 on a Wednesday, all tables were occupied and I was second in the line to order lunch. I asked a seated lady whether I would share her small table and she said yes, so I sat down to wait for my order to be served. Well before my order came, half the tables had emptied.

The $8 Primavera wrap, which I tried on whole wheat, contained diced chicken, avocado, sprouts, grated carrots, diced tomatoes, lettuce, and according to the menu, ranch dressing AND mayo (I think it's a strange idea to use both). The wrap was stuffed very full and rolled very tight. All ingredients were of good quality.

I would have much preferred if the ingredients had been mixed, or at least layered. Instead, each ingredient was in a big clump, so one bite was all chicken, the next bite all carrots, and so on--a bit boring.

I liked the idea a lot that the ingredients were fresh and healthful, but I would have liked lunch better if it had tasted yummier. It was so healthful that I could not taste ranch dressing or mayo, only one mouthful after the other of plain carrots, plain sprouts, or plain chicken white meat. My lunch was satisfying only because I knew that it was healthful.

I ate half the wrap and took home the other half. Surprise! The next day for lunch it was much better than the first half, because the vegies had shared some of their moisture, so the whole thing tasted much less dry.

A $5 Subway sandwich (not chicken, but maybe turkey or ham, piled with fresh vegies and with a little ranch dressing) would have been ten times yummier, and a better deal. Yet if a friend wanted to go to California Chicken Cafe, I would try the chicken, to compare with Pollo Loco, which is consistently delicious, healthful, and a good deal.