“Hollywood Classic”

Neighborhood: West Hollywood
Brooklyn, New York
“Hollywood Classic”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Dan Tana's is an authentic Hollywood hangout, where Old meets New. The salads are excellent, and the steak is always perfect.

Visited August 2014

Warrenton, Virginia
“great food and service”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I realize some have had trouble being seated, and we did have to wait a few minutes past our reservation time, but we were treated well, loved the food and atmosphere.

Visited August 2014
Palm Springs, California
“Great food but tourist-trap-like atmosphere and service”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My friend and I ate here at the suggestion of a relative of mine. The restaurant is VERY small, so it's not possible to not feel cramped in there. Not a place for private conversation, since neighboring tables can overhear each other. The waiters are the grumpy-old-man type you might find in touristy traps in Italy. They work on automatic pilot and don't seem to care to go the extra step to make the customer seem warmly welcomed, or that their needs will be taken care of.

My mate and I both ordered the straciatella soup, which was quite yummy and a nice way to start the meal without making yourself too full. My friend ordered the shrimp marinara and was very happy with it. I ordered veal scallopine "Carl Malden." It was 4 luscious pieces of thinly pounded veal, topped with a thin layer of eggplant, then laced with a beautiful white wine, butter, and caper sauce. Magnificent dish! Veal melted in my mouth. One complaint I have is that the menu has these creative names for the dishes - items like "shrimp scampi a la Jerry Buss" -- but does not include a description of the dish consists of. The customer is forced to ask the waiter what these cryptic names mean. No wonder the waiters are grumpy, having to recite the recipes for all these mystery items.

This is a go-to place if you have a hankerin' for Italian, you're in the neighborhood, and your willing to tolerate the tourist-trap-like atmosphere and service. For a serious dining experience, look elsewhere.

• Visited May 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
“What is so special?”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have heard a lot about Dan Tana`s famous restaurant located in Hollywood. We want there on one Wednesday evening. Nothing special. The place was crowded and the waiter was very nice, but nothing else special we have experienced there. The restaurant itself is relatively small and old-fashioned, maybe some people like exactly this... We ate a pasta and a sward fish. Pasta was with too much sauce, really poor comparing to any good Italian restaurant. The fish was just ok, but far from any great experience.

• Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Was expecting more”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The atmosphere is wonderful. Not that I care, but you will see celebrities if you dine here.The service is spot on, I couldn't have asked for more.
Now for the food...not good. I was served scallops that were previously frozen. At the prices they charge, that is just unacceptable. The pasta was mediocre at best, & from what I could tell, nothing at our table could be described as delicious.

Visited September 2013