“Vegan cuisine for non-vegans”
Review of Cafe Gratitude

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: 5th Street
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I love meat, but we met some friends here for lunch while on vacation. I was a little hesitant, but very pleasantly surprised with my meal. I ordered "I am humble" and I liked it so much, we came back later in the week, so I could have it again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am not a vegetarian, but was pleasantly surprised at how inventive and very tasty the food there is. So much so, that I went back for the last meal before my flight back home.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have not made the move to a plant-based diet. However, the more I learn about recipes, tastes, and health benefits, the more I am intrigued. Café Gratitude was recommended to us by vegan friends, especially when they learned Key Lime Pie is my favorite dessert. Café Gratitude has the vegan version, which I will get to in a moment.
Tuesday lunch was our visit, and parking was not an issue. Midday traffic through LA on I-10 was a bigger issue. I recommend surface streets to anyone with a navigation device.
Everything on the menu looked appetizing. The staff were friendly and helpful and service was excellent. I ordered the Mexican bowl because I like spicy food, and their hot sauce livened up my meal superbly. My wife enjoyed the burger because she cannot eat red meat and the mushroom mixture made for a flavorful substitute. Our Hispanic friend ordered the tacos to see if they were as good as her homemade version. She was not disappointed.
The Key Lime Pie had an avocado-based filling. The crust was a unique blend of nuts and dates, which gave it a sweet taste and crunchy texture which was delightful. It looked appetizing, and its taste lived up to its visual appeal. The creaminess of the avocado gave the filling a perfect smoothness and natural color. I could go on, but suffice it to say I recommend it for dessert.
Whether you are vegan or not, Café Gratitude is a pleasant and satisfying dining experience. They have locations in several California cities, and I would not hesitate to visit any of them based on our experience at the Venice Beach location. We spent about $25 each including appetizer, dessert, and tip.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our second try at eating in a vegan restaurant and this was an excellent choice. I had the mushroom burger on a wheat bun served with a salad which was outstanding. My husband had the Mexican bowl which he raved about and our friend, who had never eaten in a vegan restaurant tried the tacos and declared that she would be making those at home from now on. The tacos where filled with avocado, beans, mashed yam, tomatoes, and served with corn tortillas.

We ordered the yam bites for an appetizer and they were such a hit we not only asked how they were made but we will all be making them in our homes. The yam bites were served with a cashew chipotle sauce which gave it a little kick but the yam bites would be okay by themselves.

The staff was attentive, interactive and quick with our food delivery. Water glasses were filled frequently. There is outside dining as well as inside. They make 'green' shakes and while we did not try one they were making them as fast as they could to keep up with demand. The place was packed during lunch but we didn't have to wait to be seated.

We will recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a good place to eat while in Venice, CA.

My husband had to try the key lime pie desert which was excellent. We also took home samples of the coconut cream cheesecake and the chocolate dream dessert.

Dinner for 3 came to $76, not bad by CA standards. They have 90 minute validated parking on site as well. We found a place to park on one of the side streets which was just as convenient.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This restaurant is super cool and has great food. The service is exceptional and the food is incredible. There are both cooked and raw vegan options. We ate here as a family. The kale chips with dipping sauce are really good. The entrees are diverse and flavorful. The desserts are A+.