“Korean Restaurant Owned by Japanese”

Tangier Korean Barbecue
Ranked #5,416 of 10,202 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Los Feliz
Description: Korean BBQ restaurant with authentic Korean cuisine and some Japanese inspired dishes.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I didn't try the BBQ so I'm rating purely on the Korean food that we ate here. This place is owned and run by Japanese people. I'm Korean so I was a bit surprised to go to a Korean restaurant and find that they don't speak Korean. So at first, I was a bit skeptical. The design inside was very Japanese. You wouldn't really see an interior design like that in a Korean restaurant. They have anime characters which is very Japanese. Anyways, we ordered the Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Soup) and the Dolsot Bibimbap (Mixed Rice in Stone Pot) with beef. They offer the Dolsot Bibimbap with different meats but we went the good old fashioned beef. Koreans don't eat bibimbap with chicken or pork normally. And honestly, I was quite surprised! The food tasted just as good as any other Korean restaurant that I would go to! In fact, I wouldn't even have known that a Japanese owned or ran this place if you blind folded me and fed me the food only. I would have thought I'm eating at a Korean restaurant run by Korean people. So all in all, the food was great! If you can't go all the way to Koreatown for some quality Korean food, then I would recommend this place to go in the Griffith Park area. They do serve many Japanese dishes as well other than Korean dishes.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Even with a light crowd, the smoke from cooking meats was almost obnoxious. Coupled with a barman that wasn't interested enough to adjust the "signature" cocktails to a couple of customers specific requests for less sweet, this was not a pleasant experience.

The prime rib was pushed as the specialty of the house but in reality it was tough meat and seasoned with little skill.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We took advantage of a groupon hoping for a good experience. Although the wait staff was friendly, it took a long time between refills on the meat to cook. Add to that the burner was very weak and there was only one tiny area on it hot enough to actually cook the meat. The veggie plate accompanying the meats was sparce, two button mushrooms, two slices of zucchini, two slices of carrot and two thin slices of Japanese pumpkin. It took so long to cook the veggies we gave up and ate them raw. We finally gave up and went to target to get snacks. We are not heavy eaters either, all of us being average or below average size.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We came here because we had the deal from Groupon. Our waiter told us we could have anything from the menu, but we went for the all you can eat BBQ. The choices were 3 beef, 1 pork, 1 chicken, a veggie plate and a whole leaf lettuce plate (for wrapping the cooked meat). We went mostly for the beef. The sagari cut was especially good and tender (even more tender than the kalbi), so we ordered most of that. We tried the pork which was flavorful. And just for the heck of it we tried the chicken, which was blah. We think even with full price it is still a good deal since the meat is high quality and it's all you can eat. The carrot slices were a bit of nuisance since they took a long time to cook. Wish they were thinner.

As for service wise, it was great in the beginning. The waiter was attentive and asked if we wanted more meats. But toward the end we were a bit ignored. It was hard to get their attention especially from our corner, the loud ambience contributed to it, too.

The restaurant had a modern and fun anime theme. The staff did a lot of shouting as customers come in and out and in between! Our area had a huge and quirky chandelier and a wall of funky ever-changing lighting. Even though there was an exhaust built around the grill, be prepared to smell of BBQ when you walk out. It was nice that they had their own parking space in the back of the building, and it was free.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I have been to this restaurant at least four times. We love going back to Tangier because of their great & tasty food. I have been to several Korean BBQ places and this place not only has great food but great ambiance, great service and the prices are way reasonable.

One I can say bad about this place is that the servers constantly greet their customers in a loud & almost shouting way. There is no way you can have a quiet conversation here because of the noise. But other than that, you are guaranteed to have a great meal.

Enjoy!