“Cozy atmosphere, good food and good times!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tam O'Shanter

Tam O'Shanter
Reserve with OpenTable
Tam O'Shanter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #331 of 9,847 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Bar, Irish, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Boyce
Description: Delighting diners for 90 years, the Tam O'Shanter is Los Angeles' oldest restaurant operated by the same family in the same location. Enjoy good cheer, warm hospitality and exceptional food in a cozy old world atmosphere. If you have some Scottish ancestry, you might even find your family tartan among the extensive collection decorating the walls!
New Jersey
“Cozy atmosphere, good food and good times!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Whenever I visit LA, I like to dine at older restaurants that have some link with old Hollywood's past.

Tam o' Shanter is located near former Walt Disney studios, and in the lobby you can see Walt's sketches of the owner, along with the Disney troupe of characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, etc.)

The decor is what you would expect of a Scottish pub, i.e., plaid furnishings and dark paneled walls.

As it was Christmas time, the restaurant was beautifully decorated with pine trees and garlands, and there were carolers dressed in Dickenesian costumes. They did go from table to table, taking requests (my only minor complaint is that we heard "O Holy Night" no fewer than 4 times before we even got our entrees).

We had reservations but had to wait about a half hour for our table.

The manager seated us at a table right in front of the fireplace which was the crowning touch for me - I half expected someone to come marching in with a yule log. We were also offered complimentary cocktails for having waited so long to be seated.

The specialty cocktails are VERY strong - plenty of Jamieson's in them all - they have a full bar, so lighter and fussier drinks such as whiskey sours are available.

We shared the Welsh rarebit for an appetizer - and we could have made a meal of this alone. The hint of dark ale in the cheddar sauce gives it the right kick and was absolutely delicious.

I had the toad in the hole, which was very good - it is chopped filet mignon cooked in a red wine sauce with onions and mushrooms and served in a large Yorkshire pudding.

Whenever I've had Yorkshire pudding it's always had a very buttery flavor to it, and this did not. However, the sauce was so good I hardly missed that.

My dining companion had the roast goose which was very good and looked totally like a festive Christmas dinner.

For dessert I had the sticky toffee pudding which was absolutely delicious - this is one of my favorites that I look for in any English/Scottish restaurant and their version was yummy.

The service was wonderful - our waitress was Diane, and she was very attentive without being obtrusive.

Definitely will come back again!

La Canada Flintridge, California
“Disappointing Goose Dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We have been going to this restaurant for years for a holiday dinner. It was very disappointing to have the goose dinner only have about six bites of goose on top of a mound of stuffing, especially for the $30 entree price. I guess the ambience is supposed to take the place of food.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
“Special occasion restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We just had our annual Christmas family dinner here. The holiday decor along with the Dicken's era costumed carrolers always is a treat and sure to put you in the holiday mode. The menu is wonderful, I always get the roast goose. Service is great and the ambiance of this Scottish pub is warm and friendly. Highly recommend the "Tam".

Pasadena, CA
“great holiday dinners!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

nice place to go during the christmas holidays. the food is great and they dress up the place and have the folks singing carols.

“Irish at it's best!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We came for dinner with some friends and enjoyed every minute of it. Our friend had not been in at least 10+ years but decided we should give it a try because the peach soufflés were so good. We made reservations and had a wonderful time, the service was awesome and the food even better. I had the diver scallops and the chocolate soufflé and I am definitely coming back again. The entire place is warmly decorated and beyond comfortable. The is a large inviting fireplace when you walk in and the rest of the place is even moe cozy. We had fish and chips, toad in the hole, pumpkin and chocolate soufflé.e erythk g was beyond fantastic, and I'm sure everything else on the menu is just as good. The staff was super friendly and funny , I highly reccomend this place to everyone!